The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3000 gt ??

fredm

Hi everyone, I am in the process of looking for a Supra however yesterday I saw a really nice 97' 3000 GT twin turbo, 4ws 4wd etc.etc. etc. A UK model too for £9950. Anyway I know nothing about these things so I was wondering if there is anyone here who can give me some a brief list of things to watch out for.

Getting at anything in the engine bay looks a nightmare, the Supra by comparison is easy.

Any info would be appreciated. It's got full service history and done 58000 miles.

Thanks.

I also considered one of these a while ago, the price seems a little high, things to watch out for are gearbox on the earlier ones, and electrical problems, also a nightmare as nearly everything is electronic, and as far as playing under the bonnet, well small hands and lots of patients are required, you have to remove the plenum to change the rear three plugs:(

a friend of mine has an NA and had no problems, he loves it, but i think there are fairly large losses through the drive train.

They eat clutches for breakfast, even on stock tune - old colleague of mine went through 3 clutches in 6 months!

Plus, how many of them did we see running at the Pod last week? Makes me think they must be fragile...

Get a Supra ...

Can go BPU fast and to a rather low cost...

Much more fun with a supra..

I had the 3000GT for about 1 year ..

The engine is way to crowded....the parts are sitting so close to each other.

No space...hard to work on...

Mate phoned me a while ago saying someone he works with was claiming a GTO was faster than a Supra, I don't know anything about them but said it may get off the line quicker (they were talking 1/4 mile) and would probably handle a bit better but the Supe would whip it pretty easily on the 1/4.

That about right?

He then said the bloke was claiming his dads stock gt-four was faster than a Supra - I hung up at this point.

Personally, I like them. There's a lot of technology in them. OK they're fragile, so just treat them as such. There's loads of top cars out there that are fragile. Anything Italian for a starter...

I looked at getting one before I bought my GT-Four (car before the Supra) I ended up getting the GT-Four simply because a decent one turned up before the mitsi.

That said, I still prefere the Supra over the Mitsi.

I looked at getting one of these before the sup- I liked the look of them- big and wide and lots of road presence- however a bit of research showed that they are fragile cars- I wanted an autobox which by all accounts on these is a big no no- plus their resale value has fallen massively over the last couple of years.