The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Brake conversion - Gauging interest

supragold

Just wondering how many people will be interested in a big brake conversion if we can sort something out on the cheap.

These can be either 6pot fronts only / 4pot fronts only or as a full front and rear conversion including discs.

I don't have any costings and am only gauging interest at the moment.

Not even sure yet on manufacture but they won't be an inferior brake. Brembo, AP Racing or similar.

Who would be interested and whats your preference on 4 or 6 pot?

A group buy on StopTech's would probably be best...they are a real improvement over even the standard UK brakes.

6pot fronts and 4pot rears, and they are designed to keep the standard brake bias.

They aint cheap so getting many people interested will be hard.

I'd be interested, but not immediately :(

I want to keep the current Supe standard, and tune the nuts off my next one ;) (hopefully next year) - including BIG brakes. If the price is very, very good and I have enough notice to put the cash aside I could be tempted to buy in the next few months though. :)

I have KAD 6 pots in the front (356mm) and rear and they are based on the AP brakes. I retained the correct bias and it cost me about the same price as buying a Bembro front kit only.

The rears are still utilising the stock (UK/US) rear discs so that helps to keep the cost down.

Stopping power is much better then the stockers and I do not suffer from any fade.

The kit comes with the following:

KAD 6 pot 356mm front conversion kit. Comes with discs,pads,fluid,braided hoses,bells & brackets. This kit will fit under more or less any 18" wheel unlike the AP kit.

£1304.84

KAD Rear 6 pot billet alloy caliper to fit with UK/USA spec turbo std rear discs.Kit includes 2 calipers,2 mounting blocks,pads,mounting kit and braided hoses.

£560

Price does not include VAT.

I should think with a few orders the price can be lowered even further.

Also they can be powder coated to any colour free of charge. (at least mine were)

I have KAD 6 pots in the front (356mm) and rear and they are based on the AP brakes. I retained the correct bias and it cost me about the same price as buying a Bembro front kit only.

The rears are still utilising the stock (UK/US) rear discs so that helps to keep the cost down.

Stopping power is much better then the stockers and I do not suffer from any fade.

The kit comes with the following:

KAD 6 pot 356mm front conversion kit. Comes with discs,pads,fluid,braided hoses,bells & brackets. This kit will fit under more or less any 18" wheel unlike the AP kit.

£1304.84

KAD Rear 6 pot billet alloy caliper to fit with UK/USA spec turbo std rear discs.Kit includes 2 calipers,2 mounting blocks,pads,mounting kit and braided hoses.

£560

Price does not include VAT.

I should think with a few orders the price can be lowered even further.

Also they can be powder coated to any colour free of charge. (at least mine were)

KAD looks top class:

http://www.kad-uk.com/toyota_brake_upgrades.htm

Never heard of it before tho...

After the same as Jamie, I chew my way through UK spec discs and wanting to upgrade my UK spec calipers seemed the only or best option.

However after getting a good price through Envy on DBA 4000 series discs with endless pads I would say to peeps with heat/warping/fade issues, try this route first. As for £300, thats both front discs, pads and delivered, I think its a cheap option that can pay off and save you. Even after only putting 80 miles on them I can tell they are going to be far more capable at taking a hammering, and they do seem to love getting hot which someone else on DBA discs said. My very first push on the break peddle in the morning does seem a bit limp, but then after that it just feels tighter and tighter............

I cant praise this setup enough and dont see the point now in upgrading 4 pot to 6 pot for the best part of a couple of K...;)

I agree, their shite, in fact I dont know how anyone could even stop on the J-Specs, must be like having blocks of butter as pads ;)

It's how you treat them that counts...if you warp discs you're probably miss treating them....ie parking up with them still red hot....

Brake Fluid and pad choice have a lot to do with the brake feel/performance.

It's how you treat them that counts...if you warp discs you're probably miss treating them....ie parking up with them still red hot....

Brake Fluid and pad choice have a lot to do with the brake feel/performance.

Nope, never parked up straight away after hanking the breaks on at over a ton, but hanking them on at that speed only took a few attempts to shag them. I'll admit I like to break quite late and then hard, but I still dont think they could handle the heat generated in them.

These DBA discs though love heat, the more you put into them the better they bite, thats how I wanted my UK discs to perform but never did, both sets ;)

EDIT: I also had CW pads, but I think due to the heat they were looking quite glazed, and thats what I like about the DBA grooved discs, they seem to stop that happening due to the grooves cutting over the face of the pad, ok so you wear the pads a little quicker, but the grip I can feel is far better already, and I havent yet done any heavy breaking due to only having 100 miles on them so far.....

I've had the same set of UK discs including 2 trips around the Ring on them for 4 years, not had an issue with them until now as they're getting a bit long in the tooth. But they're far from shite.

They've had a lot of hard braking sessions on them and have held up perfectly.

However after getting a good price through Envy on DBA 4000 series discs with endless pads I would say to peeps with heat/warping/fade issues, try this route first. As for £300, thats both front discs, pads and delivered

Yeah -vouch for that too. Similar setup to mine. DBA 4000 Front/Rear with carbotech pads. Only had mine recently - such a difference to UK's.