The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help me decide what intercooler to go for

mikeyh

hi guys im in need of a new intercooler as mine is knackered funds are a bit tight but want to do this properly.

what have you found to be the best set up for hybrids i will also have 550's fitted soon along with a safc-2 hoping to run 1.4bar:)

should i go for

1. paul e replacment intercooler will this hold the boost im hoping for and keep temps down:search:

2. paul e uprated intercooler:search:

3. chris wilsons uprateded intercooler :search:

4. or maybe even a hybrid front mount , not sure what these are like your help would be great ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The upgrades you are proposing should be well within the capabilities of either my replacement 'budget' or 'uprated' SMIC's mate

Also the 2 row FMIC I do has been dyno proven too

I have fitted the larger SMIC to mine - just in case I want to do more for the future

At least you have a choice and all will be better than your potentially knackered one...

With that set up mate im guessing your going for around 400-500BHP , with hybrids your going to be wanting to keep the temps down as low as possible as they would obviously be generating a bit more heat than a single would.

From the list id go for CW upgrade or even Paul E's upgrade, or a decent 2 row FMIC.

what have you found to be the best set up for hybrids i will also have 550's fitted soon along with a safc-2 hoping to run 1.4bar:)

This is a single turbo right??> 1.4 is pushing it on hybrids

should i go for

1. paul e replacment intercooler will this hold the boost im hoping for and keep temps down:search:

2. paul e uprated intercooler:search:

3. chris wilsons uprateded intercooler :search:

4. or maybe even a hybrid front mount , not sure what these are like your help would be great ;)

really a personal decision, there are so many conflicts of opinions on this subject here, I would suggest what Alex has recommended though

I would suggest what Alex has recommended though

For sure.

Isn't there a danger of EGT's going high with Hybrids at that boost pressure with the SMIC ?

Hence - is that the reason why people tend to fit meaty FMIC's to go with their Hybrid sequential setup ?

i have just had hybrids fitted and have been running at 1.2, when its set up properly i will be running at 1.3 i have a 4 row big intercooler but bugger me she does run very hot

what 4 row are you running and how much did you pay for this if you dont mind me asking:p

Budget?

3) CW SMIC is the only one I'd consider on your list...

5) GReddy or Blitz 2Row FMIC would be on my list too.

I wouldn't entertain the other idea's for a millisecond.

how much are these 2 rows i take it import pimp (nic) is the best person to get one from:search:

Any technical reason why Alex? Or just personal.:no:

Yes Technical reasons.

1) The SMIC's from the other trader looked very poor too me, internally. The actual core that does the work looked crap compared to the CW SMIC or the Stock SMIC.

The internal construction is key to the air flowing through it, which is probably more important than the air flow externally. Then there is the construction of the external face, for starters there arn't enough rows...and the fins arn't up to the upto the standard set by the CW SMIC or the stock smic.

2) The HYBRID FMIC. It's core I've never seen but can't comment on by the overall design doesn't lend itself to optimum distribution of air internally...IE it's a waste of space ;) As has been mentioned by CW on countless occasions, the end tank design doesn't allow for even distridution of air across all the rows only the middle 4inches will ever really see any flow. Making the 4" above and below...a paperweight.

This is all IMO. From a technical perspective. And is again why I'm getting annoyed at traders claims of UPRATING stock items like the SMIC when infact they are just replacing something knackered (14year old SMIC) with something slightly more efficient, but not proven to be more efficient than the original item in new condition.

The CW SMIC does seem to be constructed nicely and features a lot of rows (still less than stock if I recall correctly). But it's not proven to be BETTER than a new stocker...but a new stocker is more than double the price of CW's.

The Blitz 2Row FMIC is what I used on my T61 and Ian C is using on his T67DBB....Ian's got detcans and knows his intake charge temps can't be that high cause he can push his timing further than most of the other Supra's he's mapped...but he has ducted his!

HTH

how much are these 2 rows i take it import pimp (nic) is the best person to get one from:search:

Hi Mike

I can't comment of the ones in your list, but if you are looking for a budget FMIC the 12010030 GREDDY V-SPL 2 Row FMIC would be a good choice.

I'll pm you price and details.

Yeah yeah whatever Alex :)

The ones I sell have been DYNO PROVEN to improve upon the stock intercooler in place !

- so how the intercooler 'appears' to you from a picture is hardle relevant is it?

If you want to buy a new one costing nearly £1000 then fine...!

PIC00003.jpg

PIC00004.jpg

PIC00002.jpg

Yeah yeah whatever Alex :)

The ones I sell have been DYNO PROVEN to improve upon the stock intercooler in place !

- so how the intercooler 'appears' to you from a picture is hardle relevant is it?

If you want to buy a new one costing nearly £1000 then fine...!

Of course it's dyno proven...against a knackered stocker :)