The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel bolts!!

GazzaGSi

Any idea if the wheel bolts used with Blitz Technospeeds Z1's are universal bolts that somewhere like Halfords may sell?

Driving to college this morning and I started to hear this knocking noise, thought it might be the diff or gearbox or something after the abuse it got on the strip Sunday so pulled over straight away.

Looked around and under the car and couldnt see anything obvious like fresh fluid around certain areas etc. Looked between the wheel spokes and couldnt see anything until out the corner of my eye I noticed a bolt missing, (rear wheel, left hand side) took a further look to find 2 bolts missing, 1 loose and the 2 locking wheel nuts loose!! I couldnt believe it!! I checked all of these Sunday morning before going to the pod, as I do on a long distance drive and check the tire pressure etc and they were all fine, and very tight.

I can not understand how this could of happened, I have never experienced anything like it before! The only thing I can think of is, someone was going to try and rob them or something but gave it a miss when they realised theres 2 sets of lockers on it.

Sorry for the long post but ive got the shakes quite abit, knowing that my wheel could of come off while coming down the motorway to college doesnt bear thinking about!

So, back to the original question. Can the blitz bolts only be bought from their dealer or can they be bought off the shelf from other stores? They dont seem unique, so may suite other wheels too but I dont know.

Gaz

well it depends on what you've lost then mate. afaik from your hub you have the bolt screwed into it, then your wheel goes onto the hub over the bolts and your nuts hold it in place.

i wouldn't have thought you'd have lost a bolt out of the hub, more likely to be a nut. fairly easy to replace though.

Just been out to have a look and I now see what you mean. However, the bad news is it looks like to of the studs have sheard off the hub. Will upload pics in a minute. :(

that's not good mate if that is the case. Do your wheels have spacers on to make sure the hub takes the load of the wheel rather than the bolts?

I took one of the other nuts off so I could compare with what I have been left with and im not liking the damage. Looks expensive :( You can see in the pics the stud thats intact coming out and the other 2 studs missing :(

Heres the pics:

certainly looks that way mate. best off getting the car up in the air and the wheel off to see the damage though.

Hmmmm, this sounds familar. I too once had the same noise coming from my front left wheel while on the motorway, pulled over, jacked it up, wobbled wheel, didnt move (was prob slightly welded onto the hub), spun it, all looked fine, carrid on, noise got worse, and then SNAP, it went, luckily the wheel jammed into the wheel arch and didnt depart the car completely.....

Garage swore blind they had torqued them properly..............but Im as miffed as you as to why they started stripping off one by one......

:search:

Just been to a small jap garage near me and he can fit a set for £50 which I am rather chuffed about :) Thought it would be alot worse.

Here's a pic with the wheel off:

Mate, snap, infact you sure you havent snuck around to mine and took a picture, as I concluded at the time this is either loose wheels nuts or they have been over tightened. Do you know what they were torqued to ?

After my mishap, I checked the other side and those nuts werent torqued tightly either, hence why I put the blame back onto the garage saying they must have not been torqued properly in the first place. But you said you checked your wheels yourself ?

Didnt check the torque setting, I just got a socket and racket on each nut to check they were tight. I didnt have to tighten any up at all. Will make sure they are torque up correctly from now on after seeing this!

I would, as if you dont know what their torqued to, they could be at say 90lb per ft of torque or what ever it is, then after a good thrashing down the 1/4 mile all day where these nuts are under far greater stresses then normal could start to wind loose slowly........I dont know though mate, no one really be able to find out now, same problem I had, but since torquing them now they dont seem to want to work loose again.......;)

If you do need spigot ring mate, you can get them here (they have a store on ebay as well):

You'l need to measure the inside diameters of your wheel to get the correct one. One of the sizes will obviously be 60.1 mm (standard Supra hub center size)

Wheels UK

Unit B1, Greenwood Court, Veasey Close,

Attleborough Fields Ind Est, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV11 6RT

02476 342999

Bear in mind also that the torques for taper nuts are different than for flat headed nuts....

I would not do them up to 90 Mr T recommends 79lbft beyond that you are putting too much tension on the studs.

I think you are very luck not to have been involved in a serious accident. It would have been interesting dealing with your insurance company if the police had found the nuts loose.

I would not do them up to 90 Mr T recommends 79lbft beyond that you are putting too much tension on the studs.

I think you are very luck not to have been involved in a serious accident. It would have been interesting dealing with your insurance company if the police had found the nuts loose.

T. It depends on the type of nut.....

I have a Soarer which uses flat nuts as standard. With my aftermarket wheels I have to use tapered nuts. In this instance the Toyota recommended torque is too low, as tapered nuts are not as eficient as flat faced nuts....(read Gareths link posted above)...:)

Thanks for the help people. Getting it sorted tomorrow thankfully.

Not stopped thinking about it all day. 30 seconds before the noise started I was travelling down the dual carriage way between 60 - 70! Shook me up quite abit.

It was either due to sunday or someone tampered with them last night.

Gaz