The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BOV question

garetheves

While giving the car a good clean this morning i noticed loads of stuff inside the fins of my BOV. Im assuming that this isnt meant to be there so can someone correct me if im wrong before i remove it all.

P.S. sorry bout the quality of the pic only had my phone with me and it didnt like being so close.

24062006253.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opened the BOV up this morning and theres more stuff in there than i thought there was initially. I cant see how this much has just been sucked in accidently. It look like someone has put it in there. Its all the way behind the valve itself. Looks like paper. Im guessing i should still remove it?

DSCF0164.JPG

DSCF0165.JPG

DOes the BOV affect the noise of the wastegate?? Ive noticed on this car the wastegate and turbo chatter when you lift off is very loud. Is it possible someone has put it in to increase that noise, at the expense of the BOV noise (which you cant hear at all).

Don't know, I think its probably been picked up off the road. Don't remember ever seeing it. I would def clean it out, you don't want the bov to leak air.

I always thought the noise was from the bov.

Cheers Adam. I was told that the noise (the chatter of the turbo de-spooling) was from the wastegate. The BOV should have a "Wooosh" sound, Ill go remove it now and see what happens.

its deffo been "put" in there but fook knows why, maybe someone tried some sort of repair ! but im unsure of what they would be trying to achieve

I can assure you I NEVER do cheap repairs, as all the receipts show. Why would there be a repair on an item under warrenty?

Ok im a little worried now. The pic below is what i took out. Started the car up (cant drive it because ive got the headlights out as well), and it had a very low, rough idle. Let it warm up while keeping an eye on the guages. Oil pressure was around 6.0 but the needle was bouncing (which it doesnt normally do), oil temp didnt move in the 5 mins the car was on, and the water temp was very slow to rise. Now in the 5 mins that the car was on the oil pressure dropped to 3.0 and was still bouncing. After reving the engine the revs dropped briefly to around 200 and the car nearly stalled and cut out (it did this every time i revved) and still maintained a very rough idle. Also there was a lot more smoke out of the exhaust than yesterday and its not a particularly cold day. Wasnt blue, was quite dark and a heavy smell of petrol.

DSCF0163.JPG

Just taken the car out for a spin now that ive finished the headlights. Seems to be running ok, there is a bit of hesitancy on the turbo at about 4-5k where it doesnt seem like its as fast as i could/should be. Still got the low idle though but maybe this is normal and its just my paranoia. At least i can hear the BOV now though.

Keep me informed how it goes, i'd hate to think one of the garages I use has done this.

I dont understand it myself TBH. The paper was deffinately "pushed" in there by hand but why i do not know. Like i said the car seems to be running okish with it out. Bit of a scare at first but that seemed to have settled when i took it out. Will drive it to work tomorrow to test it properly and let you know how it goes. You could do me a massive favour if you want and just phone your garage and ask them if they remember doing it and if so then why. That would be cool if you could spare 5 mins.