The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Legal front plate size?

merckx

Just been pulled over for number plates not conforming, incorrect spacing on the rear and the front plate is too small. :)

Just need to get them sorted so they're legal .

The Policeman was a decent bloke, first time I've sat in a volvo .:D

I'm not sure if I can use the smaller font on the front , do these two appoints apply , I'm not sure?

I was thinking that 2. might apply, if I was to fit a standard size plate I should really fit the larger mounting bracket which would mean that I would be modifying the car.

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

1. The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

2. The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates.

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

AND

2. The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates.

Interesting qu and I know people have differing ideas on this one.

As you have a VVTi, I would argue that the vehicle does not have European blah blah blah. You couldn't import it now if you tried.

If you have a modified front...and obviously it was like that when you purchased it... then clearly the design cannot accommodate standard size plates.

PS if you copied and pasted that 1. AND 2. bit then they have spelt accommodate wrong so point that out to them too!

As you have a VVTi, I would argue that the vehicle does not have European blah blah blah. You couldn't import it now if you tried.

Thanks, never thought of it like that. :)

The J spec cars were designed to have a small front plate fitted, the base it mounts on is really too small for a larger one without it bending or breaking at the ends.

whats the penaltys for not having a front number plate

£30 fixed penalty for the number plate failing to conform to 2001 regulations or if lucky an option of Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme (VDRS) if the force area takes part in this scheme.

Officer discretion majority of the time though. I can't personally see much of a problem unless it really is obscenely small and/or has stupid font.

AND

Its point (2) that means you must have a legal sized plate. The Supra can easily accomodate full sized plates. Its things like small kit cars and wierd small production things which this rule applies.

Also point (1) still applies....The Supra does have Euro Type Approval as it was an official import by Toyota with the UK spec. Which means that even though chassis code and engine codes are different with imports it is still a Toyota Supra.

But notice the use of "AND"... its under BOTH these conditions whereby a car is allowed to have smaller plates.

I've been stopped before and argued the case but each time I've been told by the plod that my Supra requires full sized plates. On one occasion whereby I though I had convinced the police that they were ok, they rang up the DVLA to confirm, and they told me they were too small. :(

And also on the last stop I had the very same plod that pulled me over earlier in the year..... he told me if he caught me again then he would have to go for a more serious charge of intentionally altering the reg plates....which carries a big fine and possible confiscation of vehicle....OUCH!

(maybe just a scare tactic but blimey... you get let off with murder these days but a slight alteration to a number plate and bang they throw the book at you!!)

I've been stopped before and argued the case but each time I've been told by the plod that my Supra requires full sized plates. On one occasion whereby I though I had convinced the police that they were ok, they rang up the DVLA to confirm, and they told me they were too small. :(

Yes, unfortunately there isn't any reason at all why we can't have full size plates on the car. :)

Would be interested in this as I got told mine were not legal even though they are standared square plates

I got pulled on thursday for no front number plate and just got a producer and to get the plate sorted in 14 days - no points and no fine. I have put the brackets back on and have put the legal sized number plate on for now and have the smaller plate on order.

The only costs for this incident is a tenner to get the MOT stamp to say its legal again and a £30 fine for being on my mobile!