The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Radical Supras and customised cars in general,

Chris Wilson

There has been some negative comments about people (like me...:)) who slander some of the wilder excesses of car customising, just to prove that I am, in fact, a fan of radical mods and customisation I'd like to (re) share some pics of what I call perfectionist customisation. Every time I visit this web site and see the work standards these guys have achieved I become quite emotional.

After the link (and the whole site is worth a browse, especially the engine pages at

http://www.hilmersson-racing.com/start.asp?show=c

and at

http://www.hilmersson-racing.com/start.asp?show=d

), is an English translation of thw wild engine mods.

http://www.hilmersson-racing.com/start.asp?show=ea

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Facts about the engine management system:

The engine is supercharged by both an EATON M62 supercharger and a Garrett GT40 turbo. I´ve built this system to get an engine with the characteristics of a big engine with a normally sized turbo, i.e the boost should not come in like your being rear-ended when you hit 5500 rpm. The supercharger and turbocharger are put in a parallell configuration, where the supercharger is controlled and the turbo boosts as much as it can, all the way up to maximum boost. The supercharger gives 0.8 bar of boost all the way from idle, so there´s always at least 0.8 bar of boost at your service. The turbo starts to spool by 3000rpm and full boost comes in as early as ~4500rpm even though the turbo is quite large. When the combined pressure is close to 1.0 bar, the supercharger is starting to disconnect from the system by a bypass valve. At 1.3 bar the supercharger is completely bypassed and it is just spinning along without any drag caused by the boost. After the supercharger a big check-valve is mounted, and that prevents the boost built by the turbo to escape through the bypass valve. A check-valve is also mounted after the turbo, that prevents the boost built by the supercharger escaping backwards through the turbo. Once the turbo has "taken over" the engine runs like any other turbocharged engine, and thanks to the big exhaust housing of the turbo the back-pressure is pretty small. This means that you don´t need very much boost to get a lot of power.

The throttle-housing is a "slide-type" housing, and the EMS made by Autronic makes the engine very driveable and smooth at idle regardless of the agressive cams. The throttle housing is consists of a plate with four 46mm holes that makes up the throttle-plate. When at WOT the plate is positioned straight over the intake runner holes, and at idle they are offset to the side, restricting the air flow. The throttle-plate is sliding on ball-bearings not to get stuck against the throttle-housing at high boost.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@