The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bored...

wkdtime

......so i thought id star a discussion,

Like many people here when asking for opinions or recomendations in regard to styling, looks etc, theres alot of helpful and humorous posts made, but there are a few who cant understand why members would want to do certain mods to the soop, e.g 19.s, slammed, impratical styling, which is fair enough, but its another thing when they start saying how stupid it is, or why on earth would you want to do that, and before you know the posts have gone off thread,

i recently got my racing hart Cr's which have a nice small offset so my wheels sit further out for a more deep dish look, i also wanted to fit narrower tyres (one size narrower than recomended), i did this to my Corraddo V6 and in the 2 years of ownership i had no problems, so i knew there wasnt a safety issue, if there was going to be a problem, it'd be the fact that i risk kurbing the wheels easily.

But i knew all the above, and asked if a certain width tyre could give me the same look and asked for some pointers, and i got alot of negative comments like, is it because i cant afford wider tyres? Why would i want to? It looks crap?

Some of you may think whats the bid deal with that, but its just i got pretty much the same response when i went for 19's, or when i went TTC, no helpful comments just random posts that were making it out that it was stupid and pointless (Ask Nic if TTC is pointless on a 6 Speed)

Jazz is a prime example and has taken alot of stick, some are due to his remarks i guess, but alot of members tare into him if he suggests a mod he'd like to do.

I have seen and read alot on this forum, and there arent much in the way of constructive posts to help fellow members,

its all "I dont like it, its wrong, why would you want to do that?"

Some of us are into just styling and looks, Some are into track days, performance, handling, the rest are into a bit of both (compromise between the two).

We all fit in one above the above or maybe i have missed one, but the point is we all love the Supe in our own ways and some carry out some wacky mods to suit, but we should all be respected and respect each other and negative posts should be left out, more positive posting and less of the slating.

Its like theres a big empty medium between with us the younger generation and the older generation who both have different prespective and ideas around the Supra.

I've said my peace....peace out...rant over[sAD][/sAD]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

agree in some ways, i never say "dont like that looks crap" to anyone, its all about personal taste. the veilside look is the thing to have a go at just now, loads of people say its dated, looks crap.i wanted a veilside supe for years, i think it looks great, thats all i care about. if a car looks really bad i would say, but in a tactful way :innocent:

I agree with what you are saying mate. At the end of the day, if someone wants to modify a Supra, they do so to suit their own tastes not everyone elses. And just because someone doesnt like it, doesnt make it wrong. I love the look of the standard Supra, but also love the look of a tastefully modified one. There are some people on here who completely disagree with modding an already gorgeous car and give the "modders" a lot of stick for doing so. I say each to their own and everyone should be respected for their won tastes.

In the past I have been guilty of offering an opinion that is less than complimentary but only when the thread starter has asked for opinions on a certain look. I think that is aceptable. I don't think I have ever offered a negative criticism when someone has not asked for an opinion.

As for styling, well, I cannot say much eh? I am sure there were people on here who had several fits when they first saw the orange car but, to be honest, i didn't give a fig. i do my styling to suit me not others but there again, i dont let the criticism worry me either as everyone is entitled to an opinion.

In the past I have been guilty of offering an opinion that is less than complimentary but only when the thread starter has asked for opinions on a certain look. I think that is aceptable. I don't think I have ever offered a negative criticism when someone has not asked for an opinion.

As for styling, well, I cannot say much eh? I am sure there were people on here who had several fits when they first saw the orange car but, to be honest, i didn't give a fig. i do my styling to suit me not others but there again, i dont let the criticism worry me either as everyone is entitled to an opinion.

CJ i agree, but when the thread is in regard to advice and not opinion e.g, Best coilovers for Max drop, there arent many constructive posts (talking from experience), its more so, why would you want to? rather than giving advice from experience.

If you ask a question of will 19" wheels fit on my car, you're going to get the response of "yes but it will make your car handle like shit" every time.

If someone suggests a mod that will make the car perform worse than it does as standard, or by going a different route, then what do you expect?

I don't want to say "if you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask the question" as it's not condusive to expanding peoples knowledge. After all every day should be a school day, but it's difficult when someone asks a question, and then when you explain the how's and why's, if it doesn't agree with what they wanted to hear then they don't listen.

As far as bodykits etc, it's all too subjective. Everyone will have their own opinion on why x is better than y. I mean c'mon, we all know y is best don't we FFS? :p

:D thanks and dont forget im a big fan of your supra as iv seen it in flesh and that looks fu*king wicked and i know where your coming from with the wheels so go for that big look, also take into consideration i dont see many supes with expensive sexy wheels so yours will look awesome;)

We all like different things and use our Supras in different ways.

Certain subjects will always attract a stronger viewpoint from some - 20 " wheels, induction kits, do you like my new custom bonnet etc

That is the way it is on a public forum.

If you post a thread asking for peoples views then you are going to attract good and bad comments either way, even if you don't ask for them.

However if the thread is a question on a subject then if all the poster can offer is negatives (unless of course based on safety) then they shouldn't really post in that thread.

You do what you like and thats all that matters.

Personal tone can't be judged by the tinternet most of it is banter.

There are some miserable buggers though :D

If you ask a question of will 19" wheels fit on my car, you're going to get the response of "yes but it will make your car handle like shit" every time.

If someone suggests a mod that will make the car perform worse than it does as standard, or by going a different route, then what do you expect?

I don't want to say "if you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask the question" as it's not condusive to expanding peoples knowledge. After all every day should be a school day, but it's difficult when someone asks a question, and then when you explain the how's and why's, if it doesn't agree with what they wanted to hear then they don't listen.

As far as bodykits etc, it's all too subjective. Everyone will have their own opinion on why x is better than y. I mean c'mon, we all know y is best don't we FFS? :p

Mate, again ill have to explain, theres a difference between "will 19's fit my car?" to what tyres for 19's" the first is obviously a question which will get posts like handling, dont do it, etc which is understandable, but the latter should gets posts which directly answer the question, but in reality the usual comments like above are given when theres no need.

Guys im talking about specific questions like, "tyres for 19's", "How to do TTC?" "How to fit flamer kits", now these subjects if discussed in regards to "what do you think of...." then i can understand the stick they would get as many members would'nt even dream about carry out these mods. But is someone has asked a question in a way where they have made up their mind and simply wants to know "how to.." or "where to buy from..." then negative posting in regard to the mod should be left out.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, you don't have to agree with it. The bbs would be a boring place if everyone kept quiet when some asks whether 20" spinners will look good on a Supra.

I for one don't really understand why people ask 'what do you think of these wheels' or 'which spats'. Your car, your choice - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I do agree with a lot of the criticisms you refer to, but now I take the 'if you can't say something nice, don't say it' line. Hence the low post count :)

......so i thought id star a discussion,

Like many people here when asking for opinions or recomendations in regard to styling, looks etc, theres alot of helpful and humorous posts made, but there are a few who cant understand why members would want to do certain mods to the soop, e.g 19.s, slammed, impratical styling, which is fair enough, but its another thing when they start saying how stupid it is, or why on earth would you want to do that, and before you know the posts have gone off thread,

i recently got my racing hart Cr's which have a nice small offset so my wheels sit further out for a more deep dish look, i also wanted to fit narrower tyres (one size narrower than recomended), i did this to my Corraddo V6 and in the 2 years of ownership i had no problems, so i knew there wasnt a safety issue, if there was going to be a problem, it'd be the fact that i risk kurbing the wheels easily.

But i knew all the above, and asked if a certain width tyre could give me the same look and asked for some pointers, and i got alot of negative comments like, is it because i cant afford wider tyres? Why would i want to? It looks crap?

Some of you may think whats the bid deal with that, but its just i got pretty much the same response when i went for 19's, or when i went TTC, no helpful comments just random posts that were making it out that it was stupid and pointless (Ask Nic if TTC is pointless on a 6 Speed)

Jazz is a prime example and has taken alot of stick, some are due to his remarks i guess, but alot of members tare into him if he suggests a mod he'd like to do.

I have seen and read alot on this forum, and there arent much in the way of constructive posts to help fellow members,

its all "I dont like it, its wrong, why would you want to do that?"

Some of us are into just styling and looks, Some are into track days, performance, handling, the rest are into a bit of both (compromise between the two).

We all fit in one above the above or maybe i have missed one, but the point is we all love the Supe in our own ways and some carry out some wacky mods to suit, but we should all be respected and respect each other and negative posts should be left out, more positive posting and less of the slating.

Its like theres a big empty medium between with us the younger generation and the older generation who both have different prespective and ideas around the Supra.

I've said my peace....peace out...rant over[sAD][/sAD]

Mate, I don’t like your post, its looks poo and I reckon it will reduce the handling capacity of the site... go for a smaller post!! :p

Mate, again ill have to explain, theres a difference between "will 19's fit my car?" to what tyres for 19's" the first is obviously a question which will get posts like handling, dont do it, etc which is understandable, but the latter should gets posts which directly answer the question, but in reality the usual comments like above are given when theres no need.

Guys im talking about specific questions like, "tyres for 19's", "How to do TTC?" "How to fit flamer kits", now these subjects if discussed in regards to "what do you think of...." then i can understand the stick they would get as many members would'nt even dream about carry out these mods. But is someone has asked a question in a way where they have made up their mind and simply wants to know "how to.." or "where to buy from..." then negative posting in regard to the mod should be left out.

OK so you're saying people should only respond to the exact question asked, and not offer further advice? eg:

Q: What tyres will fit on the 19" rims I want to buy

A: These ones.

I think you would learn a lot more if people ellaborated. For example:-

Q: What tyres will fit on the 19" rims I want to buy

A: These ones will, but they'll make your car handle like shit.

Personally I don't really pay attention to peoples names on here, so I don't know how much knowledge people have or even how long they've been members on the board. So I would always try to elaborate and explain why something is a good/bad idea. Hence why I once tried to tell Terry Saunders what a fuel map looked like.... Granny, eggs, suck and all that. More of a discussion if you see what I mean...

Soooooo if someone said "how do I fit my FSE valve" we should all bite our tongue instead of saying "don't bother connecting the return hose as it'll piss fuel all over the engine bay anyway"?

This sounds like censorship and political correctness to me. Don't say anything bad or you might offend. These days tbh I usually ignore threads that I don't agree with anyway because, well, fit yer 20" rims, if doesn't *actually* matter to me. If you want to drag the image of the Supra down, put neons on. And washer LEDs. No-one can tell you otherwise but you'll have to be content knowing that a lot of people on here think you're a cock even if they don't say so :)

Christ, imagine the tech section without any negativity about products or methods. What a disaster that would be. What about that guy with the fuel system where he was planning on putting the regulator before the fuel rail? It won't work, at all, but under these rules, we aren't allowed to criticise his plan, just tell him how to connect the things up in that order. Ludicrous.

I'm a believe in say what you see. If someone thinks it's shite, say so - but give a reason or stay quiet.

-Ian