The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stifen suspension using ...

nismo_lp

yeah, I currently have them on both my cars.

They work in compression only by the way. They don't serve any purpose in how the spring rebounds.

But they do help by giving the effect of stiffer suspension on compression and they can raise ride height if required. They also help with body roll both latterally and longitudinally (if you choose the right sized unit that is).

I've fitted them to my Supra this year primarily because on last year's Nurburgring visit my tyres were catching my wheel arch... I've done test runs on certain roads and its now near impossible to get the suspension to travel down enough to allow tyres to catch. So I'm happy with them.

They are a polyurethane in-fit which slides into the coil spacings on your springs. You can buy them in different sizes and they can affect your car depending on the size you put in.

Put in a large one whereby your suspension is actually compressing it whilst stationary and you can raise ride height by a few mm.... this setup will also have the greatest effect on the harshness of the spring compression.

Put in a small one and you'll only notice the diffenece when the spring travels a long way... ie. high speed over a big bump or going down a dip in the road etc.

Bear in mind if you fit to the front it may be a good idea to also fit to the back by the same degree.

yeah, I currently have them on both my cars.

They work in compression only by the way. They don't serve any purpose in how the spring rebounds.

But they do help by giving the effect of stiffer suspension on compression and they can raise ride height if required. They also help with body roll both latterally and longitudinally (if you choose the right sized unit that is).

I've fitted them to my Supra this year primarily because on last year's Nurburgring visit my tyres were catching my wheel arch... I've done test runs on certain roads and its now near impossible to get the suspension to travel down enough to allow tyres to catch. So I'm happy with them.

They are a polyurethane in-fit which slides into the coil spacings on your springs. You can buy them in different sizes and they can affect your car depending on the size you put in.

Put in a large one whereby your suspension is actually compressing it whilst stationary and you can raise ride height by a few mm.... this setup will also have the greatest effect on the harshness of the spring compression.

Put in a small one and you'll only notice the diffenece when the spring travels a long way... ie. high speed over a big bump or going down a dip in the road etc.

Bear in mind if you fit to the front it may be a good idea to also fit to the back by the same degree.

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear! The front is fine and the back only just scrapes! As you said only hits on bumps at high speeds and some times if i floor the car on a bend! Do you think the small ones will be effective enough or would you recommend i just go for the larger ones to make sure the problem is completely irradiacated?

Where did you buy these from and how much should i expect to pay?

Thanks for your help

nismo - Halfrauds currently sell them at around £7-£8 each.

To get the nominal size for your spring spacing the way I do it is to jack the car up by 3/4 and then measure the coil spacing. On the back of the units in Halfrauds there is a size guide with a GE13 through to G15A with the relevant sizes to tell you which one you need.

If you want the max size possible for you spring then jack it up all the way and measure the coil spacing..... this will also raise your ride height by a few mm... but the nominal size should be enough to stop tyres catching.

If your local Halfrauds don't sell them then you can get them from the manufacturing company on the link below:

http://www.springassisters.co.uk

nismo - Halfrauds currently sell them at around £7-£8 each.

To get the nominal size for your spring spacing the way I do it is to jack the car up by 3/4 and then measure the coil spacing. On the back of the units in Halfrauds there is a size guide with a GE13 through to G15A with the relevant sizes to tell you which one you need.

If you want the max size possible for you spring then jack it up all the way and measure the coil spacing..... this will also raise your ride height by a few mm... but the nominal size should be enough to stop tyres catching.

If your local Halfrauds don't sell them then you can get them from the manufacturing company on the link below:

http://www.springassisters.co.uk

Can't thank you enough! Cheers!

chilli - these little devices prevent the suspension bottoming out.... its impossible for it to do so because they fit between the coil spacings.

IMO they give the effect of stiffer suspension when the spring goes into compression.... so this effects body roll both when cornering and braking/acclerating.

They also have the effect of stiffening your shock absorbers due to the polyurethane material and its rubberness

Its not as good as upgrading your suspension but its a very cheap alternative.

I'll have more info in a few weeks time after I come back from the 'ring.