The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra

grahamc

Ok, heres another long story... with a couple of questions...

Basically I bought the supra back in May, with a cracked piston, which I accepted.

I have an engine build scheduled to start on 17th July at Turbofit. The idea was that this would come out BPU mods. For all mods on car and coming soon, see my garage.

Been phoning a few insurance companies to get some quotes on the car. I have had one quote, over £4000 per year. Which is a little steep. The facts:

* 27 years old

* 1 accident 4 years ago (idiot ran out in front of car, I swerved, hit pavement)

* Moved to the UK in Jan 2005

* Converted SA license (held for 8 years) to UK license, with no test, 23/12/2005

* Have a clio that is insured, and I will get 1 year NCB in Feb 2006

Insurance companies that I have spoken to:

* Sky

* Admiral

* PolicyShop

* AdrianFlux

* High Performance

Still to try:

* Bell

* Elephant

* Prestige

All the other places that I have phoned, have said that they will not quote me, as I have not held a UK License for at least 1 year.

My options are:

* Rebuild engine now, as planned, leave it on the driveway

* Postpone rebuild to later in the year (what needs to be done, as car will be standing - no starting at all)

Any other options?

Thanks,

Graham

If you get the work done on the car now and leave it standing, you'll still need to get the car to Turbofit and back, plus you won't really know if the mods have been set up correctly without driving the car (no disrespect to Turbofit!). Without insurance, driving the car at all isn't the best idea.

Also, any warranty from Turbofit may be null and void by the time you get the car back on the road.

If you get the work done on the car now and leave it standing, you'll still need to get the car to Turbofit and back, plus you won't really know if the mods have been set up correctly without driving the car (no disrespect to Turbofit!). Without insurance, driving the car at all isn't the best idea.

Also, any warranty from Turbofit may be null and void by the time you get the car back on the road.

Good points. Wont drive without insurance, bad idea.

Best not to leave a car standing for so long either - postpone the build and prepare the rest of the car for being off the road.

What exactly needs to be done?

Thanks

Ok, some more info...

I have now resided myself to the fact that I am not going to be able to get the car insured, for now. :(

So When in doubt, spend silly amounts of money on the car!! :D

What I have decided to do is, go for a nice twin turbo conversion!!! :eyebrows:

My car at current has the following:

Full decat exhaust

Induction kit

BOV

FMIC - this however needs some work, basically the fins are starting to crumble, so I want to replace it, would however just like to have the hardpipes cleaned and reused - is this possible?

Front strut brace

UK Spec brakes

Boost gauge

The things that I need (as far as I know, aside from the actual turbos):

Fuel pump - which one is needed?

Fuel injectors - which ones are needed? Can I have direct replacements, so that I dont have to change the fuel rail?

Fuel pressure regulator - is this needed?

Fuel lines - is this needed? or is it just a nice to have?

Wide band O2 sensor and gauge

Oil Cooler

Fully mapable ECU - which one is recommended? eManage, HKS, etc?

Boost controller? - is it needed?

Restrictor ring? - is it needed?

Fuel Cut Defender - is it needed?

Speed Limit Defender - is it needed?

TRD Style Carbon fibre bonnet - definitely required now.

What else would I need? Anyone on here that has stuck with twins and not gone the big single route? Why do people go single, instead of keeping the twin setup?

What prep work needs to be done, considering that the car is about to stand around doing nothing for 4 - 5 months?

Target date for the work to be done is January February 2007...

Thank you Nic, who has already given me some advise and help. :cool: