The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Aerial???! Help

JimC

Hi guys.

I removed my aerial last nite.

I was never very keen on it anyway. The old fashioned extending aerial is well out of date, and it does get a little annoying going up and down everytime you switch the radio on and off. It was also broken, so kinda killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

But, obviously i now need a new aerial, and im looking for something small and modern, often seen on mercs or bmw's.

Im sure someone somewhere has been down this road.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

yeah plugged up the hole with a nice gromit. Looks tidy and is pretty water tight.

I want to get a new aerial sorted ASAP.

Mine was pretty fooked. The toothed cable had ripped off its wheel, so it wouldnt go up or down at all!!!

Mine is also fooked. Its just staying up, and whines whenever the stereo is turned on and off, like its trying to pull it up and down.

I took all the plastic boot covers off the other day to have a look. I could see the whole motor and assembly but couldnt see anything i could do to fix it, apart from replacing the whole unit. For the time being i'm happy to just get the aerial back down and then unplug the connection to stop it working totally (cos it looks crap up!) is there anyway to do this?

stonkin....that is exactly the same as mine. was whining whenever it was meant o be going up and down. Once i took it apart, the toothed line had come off the toothed wheel. I guess the whining is just the wheel going round!

Take the whole thing out. It real easy....plus it does look shite!!!!!

Think the wire aroiund the back window maybe a good shout. Not keen on making another hole in the roof for a "shark fin" style aerial. Getting something small and modern to fit the existing side mount hole will be almost impossible!