The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ducting FMIC

mikeyb10supra

I will shortly be ducting my FMIC when I start fitting it for maximum flow >>, its going to sit behind a Bomex type-2 bumper, Firstly I was wondering if anyone has any experience fitting an intercooler behind a similar bumper, were there clearance problems and did you duct it in anyway for maximum cool air flow?

Is it better to totally seal the FMIC from the Rad, and attempt to duct the rad separatly?

cheers

Mike

Is it better to totally seal the FMIC from the Rad, and attempt to duct the rad separatly?

cheers

Mike

dont get what you are on about here mate the rad is directly behind the fmic so you couldn't have them ducted seperatly, i am a bit anal when it comes to ducting :D basically you need to make sure everything goes through the fmic with no short cuts no gaping holes for the air to find the easiest route and then do the same so everything goes through the rad, 1mm ally sheet and duct tape is the way to go

dont get what you are on about here mate the rad is directly behind the fmic so you couldn't have them ducted seperatly, i am a bit anal when it comes to ducting :D basically you need to make sure everything goes through the fmic with no short cuts no gaping holes for the air to find the easiest route and then do the same so everything goes through the rad, 1mm ally sheet and duct tape is the way to go

I meant to channel all air through the intercooler, and fabricate a separate piece of material to channel air from under the bumper between the rad and the intercooler? im taking it this wont work? what would you suggest?

im open to ideas :)

Mike

I meant to channel all air through the intercooler, and fabricate a separate piece of material to channel air from under the bumper between the rad and the intercooler? im taking it this wont work? what would you suggest?

im open to ideas :)

Mike

no mate this would probably end up worse than when you started, ducting is about pressure drop in that on the front of the I/C you need high pressure and on the back side of the I/C you need low pressure so the air will flow through it if you try and introduce high pressure air to the back side of the I/C to feed the rad you will not achieve anything, the best way to think about the ducting is look at how Mr T did it originaly everything sealed with no gaps at all to prevent any air bypassing where it should be going, look at the size of the vent for the stock smic it is tiny the reason it worked was that once the air had gone in the vent the only way out was through the smic and the low pressure area was created by the vent in the wheel well, keep it simple and you wont go wrong

no mate this would probably end up worse than when you started, ducting is about pressure drop in that on the front of the I/C you need high pressure and on the back side of the I/C you need low pressure so the air will flow through it if you try and introduce high pressure air to the back side of the I/C to feed the rad you will not achieve anything, the best way to think about the ducting is look at how Mr T did it originaly everything sealed with no gaps at all to prevent any air bypassing where it should be going, look at the size of the vent for the stock smic it is tiny the reason it worked was that once the air had gone in the vent the only way out was through the smic and the low pressure area was created by the vent in the wheel well, keep it simple and you wont go wrong

interesting reading, so I basically need to channel all air flow through the FMIC if possible so it has nowhere to go but through it is this what you mean....sorry to be a bit numpty on this subject, ive never really tinkered with Front mounts before, so will the rad have enough air flow with the FMIC in front of it?

interesting reading, so I basically need to channel all air flow through the FMIC if possible so it has nowhere to go but through it is this what you mean....sorry to be a bit numpty on this subject, ive never really tinkered with Front mounts before, so will the rad have enough air flow with the FMIC in front of it?

yep all air going through the fmic and then seal the gaps between the fmic and the air con and radiator, i ran mine like this on a standard radiator for around 2 years with no probs and no overheating, i know some people will say mine runs a zillion BHP with no ducting but Mr T didn't put it there for no reason and why make the engine/cooling system work any harder than it needs to, i got a fluidyne rad when i went single as the stock 10 year old rad was starting to get a bit worse for wear so check its condition