The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A thoughts

DannySZ

Hi everyone

First of all, just want to introduce myself, my names Danny and im looking at getting my first supra in the near future!!

Just a few questions i have though... ive been searching the forum for info on the n/a ( which is what im looking at getting) but cant help thinking that it may not be as quick as i want it to be. What other cars would you guys compare it too car wise? I love the looks of the supra, but cant really afford the TT at this moment in time. Was also looking at the skyline r33 gts-t, but much prefer the supra to be honest.

Any help would be appreciated.. thanks in advance

Danny :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought an NA auto and thoroughly enjoy it. Never thought I'd go automatic but its been fantastic and tbh I dont think i'll go back to manual. Plenty of well looked after cars here on the site. I got mine through Autotrader before I found this site and probably paid a bit more than I should. Still love the car though. Its a good site this, lots of friendly people and more advice than you can wave a stick at. Welcome aboard.:welcome:

i used to have an n/a and they are great cars. and just because its an n/a you shouldnt think that it isnt fast! although not as fast as a TT, obviously, they are still pretty fast and one of the sexiest cars on the road. and besides you arent always gonna have a chance to drive so fast anyway!

Hi Danny,

Welcome to the club, the perfomance of the n/a from stock form I believe is slightly faster than the gts-t but obviously you can tune the skyline to over 300bhp, other cars to compare to would be the civic/integra type r,bmw 330ci,200sx and anything I guess that hits 100 in around 15-16 seconds which I believe the n/a does,also the above cars from what I have read have been a tad slower than the n/a:) if you are able find an sz-r this is a slightly lighter version of the sz which weighs in around 1400-1430kg so slightly quicker still, the main thing I guess when comparing the perfomance to a type r or quick hot hatch is that the supra will have near to 60-100lbs of torque over them which IS real world perfomance, I've said this a few times but I recommend buying the newest n/a possible if you can afford it, post 96 when the facelift came in as you can get a really well specced up model with larger uk brakes,vvti, and the getrag 6 speed gear box which I'm pretty sure is the same as the TT but with diff ratios, and a LSD, but you really will have to search, but it would be worth the wait, Scooter is selling a real nice facelift 98 in the for sale section, I've driven it before and loved it but I couldnt buy it as insurance was a little difficult at the time! so I'd look at that one.

I once had a play about behind an n/a when I first got my tt and he would go then I would and tbh I didn't even think I was going to keep up as I wasn't exactly catching up quickley! we were going up to around 100 and it was by this point I started gaining but these are still quick cars.

Also if you wish to turbo the n/a you can with little hassel which is nice to know! so I hope this helps your decision :)

i used to have an n/a and they are great cars. and just because its an n/a you shouldnt think that it isnt fast! although not as fast as a TT, obviously, they are still pretty fast and one of the sexiest cars on the road. and besides you arent always gonna have a chance to drive so fast anyway!

well said! ;)

Happy with my NA but if you have any doubt, better go for a TT otherwise you allways be asking yourself,... what if!

NAs are fast and with more and more NA-Ts about thanks to people like Turbofit your NA can always have a single once you can afford it.

welcome btw

Thanks for the posts guys, i think the n/a option is the way forward for me at the minute... like you have said, in the future i could always opt for the single turbo. As for the skyline... my insurance will be nearly 1k cheaper on the supra, and tbh there won't really be alot of difference betwen them i wouldnt have thought. Like i say, the supra wins hands down in the looks department in my opinion, and i LOVE the purr of the engine. I take it as the TT and N/A engine sound similar? (obviously without the spooling of turbos)

Thanks again

Danny

I also have a n/a but soon got bored with the power, dont get me wrong they are reasonably quick but wished I had hung out for a TT and you may find other n/a owners saying the same, I had mine converted to a single turbo only because it is a 97 model in a nice colour, go for a later sz-r model if you can but with the six speed box as Tom suggested

yeah i know, done a bit of research on that one. Its going to be a toss up between the turbo conversion and buying a TT in a few years i think

If anyones got any opinions on that i'd be greatful to hear them.

your plan of having a NA for a year or two and then getting a TT is a sound one IMO. What you need to ensure is that you don't pay over the odds for the NA in the first place so that you can easily sell when the chance of a TT comes.

Personally i would get a manual NA with a LSD ie a SZ-R. You need to do a little searcing on here for chassis plate details and you will find a 'how to read a supras vin plate' which will ensure you can identify such a car.

Some good advice there, I have had my n/a for a few years now and still think I personally made the right choice. A friend of mine for example is never happy with his car whatever the power, if he increases it he wants more soon after, I never get this way about performance so it is always down to the individual. I still have a bit of fun with the tt boys now and then and if I am behind its not by much. You will get the odd bit of banter from the tt and single boys but its only for a laugh but a n n/a will still always be a very quick car. (waits for pi**take!).

I was in the same the same position as you before i bought ahhh aristo's n/a off him a while ago. I went for the n/a because i didnt have the cash for a decent manual tt and it was a bit of a leap from a 1.6 almera haha. Anyhow the n/a will do me until the time comes for a TT. In my opinion its the best comprimise of looks and performance for the money. Good luck with the search mate.

Ive had my n/a for 18months now, if you want a great looking car that isnt going to empty your wallet GET ONE.even if you go tt theres always someone with a faster one .and when funds allow you can always put a turbo on it.and btw autos change quicker than manuals

Thanks for the opinions guys, like i said before... the n/a route is going to be the one for me. In a few years ill look at getting the TT or possibly the single conversion.

Got my supra pdf guide from here, and im off to look at my first one later today :)

Thanks again for the help

Danny

Guest blueangel

Ive got an n/a cant r3eally tell you how it drives as i dont really know, but your view on the supras being better looking is spot on.

I've got an N/A and I just went for the newest/low mileage/unmolested one I could find.. it's my work horse so I don't really need crazy performance and the potential hassle of turbos... it pulls like a train and I love it...

I've got an N/A and I just went for the newest/low mileage/unmolested one I could find.. it's my work horse so I don't really need crazy performance and the potential hassle of turbos... it pulls like a train and I love it...

Whatever you get make sure you save for a TT,they really are awesome.