The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rear left brake weak ???

supra steveo

Sliding callipers nearly always stick as they get old.

Take the two big sliding pins out, cleam them up (if they're really crappy stick them in a drill and clean them with 800 wet & dry in oil). Grease them with silicone grease & stick back in.

Jobs a good'un.... Unless its the piston thats siezed??

If its the piston take the calliper off, take the pads out & gently wind it back in with a G clamp & something like an old pad over the piston. Have someone prss the brake pedal while you stick something in the way of it so it doesn't pop out (the pads & disc are good!)... then do it all again until it feels free.

A good work out will do it the world of good.

Yep, same for rears... only it has one piston.

If you're going to change the seals then best do both sides. The piston bores may need a light hone to bring them up to perfect condition & the pistons may need cr*p buffing off them with some 800 wet & dry....

Have fun!

got the wheel off now. and the face that pusses the pad was covered in crap so i washed it off and washed the back of pads too, the piston moved when the brake was pressed so it looks ok, hopefully it was just coz the was loads of shite in there, will find out out in morning when I take it for is second test new tyres are on now so this brake issue is the only thing holding me back now

Dont panic bud, ideally you need a 'g' clamp to get it back home have you taken the cap off the reservoir? I would go to toyota tomorrow and get a seal repair kit and give it all a good clean up with very light wet and dry, sounds like it could have a bit of rust in there

sorted, i have been hitting (i know i shouldn't but i started to lose my rag) with a ratchet and trying to make a clap with flat bits of metal to force against the 2 caliper surfaces, then it hit me......put the end of the ratchet in the piston and lever it back till i hit the rear of the caliper and then the piston moved back and slotted over the pads with ease.

i feel like a bit of a timmy, trying to make clamp when the simplest idea worked