The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Servicing Air Con....?

Martin

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me what type of refrigerant goes in a late 93 supra?

Is it R-134a or R-12 because its HOT!!! Got to get it done.

I saw a article in Banzai about Halfords got there own top up range which might save me some money if they work. Is'nt it located by the horn? Just in case I stick it somewhere I shouldn't....?

Cheers

134a as r12 is illegal now. I'd say about 700grms of refrigerant

just read the rest of the thread...get it done properly, as there is a low and a high pressure valve

you should also weigh the gas in not just whack it in from halfrauds.

I'd say get it done by a garage, had mine done this morning, cost me about £80 but I know its been done properly and its icy cold.

If you do give it a go let us know how it goes. Good luck mate.

Yes, you can get 134a in Halfords (recommended to me by Lucifer)..

Read the can though, you need the gauge as well....

Make absolutely sure you use the right point of entry as the can can explode if you try and pump it into the high pressure nozzle...

I hav a Soarer and on my car the nozzle by the horn (next to the radiator) is the WRONG one. The correct one for me is on a pipe next to the pump..

A Supra someone will be along shortly to put you straight, I'm sure...:)

I have the manifold gauge set and 134a adapters and quite a bit of 134a, the basic problem with car air-con is the flexible hoses from the air-con compressor are permeable and it gets very warm under the bonnet so over a period of time you will lose the gas. You have two choices renew the hoses or recharge the system (hope Green Peace aren`t reading this), if you renew the hoses they will eventually become permeable again, Mercedes Benz admitted a few years ago that these hoses are permeable. If you have NO cooling at all then its usually a big leak or a knackered air-con compressor due to running the system with low refrigerant charge. Main culprit here is the air-con condensor having corrosion or stone damage ! New or recon compressor is going to be expensive. If anyone locally needs help I can attach gauges and tell them whats happening in their system ?

I have City & Guilds Refrigeration Mechanic and Technician Qualifications.

Safest entry point is the Low Pressure side marked L when you add Vapour and NOT Liquid into the system.

I'd say get it done by a garage, had mine done this morning, cost me about £80 but I know its been done properly and its icy cold.

If you do give it a go let us know how it goes. Good luck mate.

Where in sunny Essex did you get it done mate. I need to get mine sorted asap.

Where in sunny Essex did you get it done mate. I need to get mine sorted asap.

In Braintree on springwood industrial estate, they're called 'Steve Mott' and i've been going there for years, don't let anyone else touch my cars.

There work is spot on and well worth the little bit extra that you pay for the peace of mind.

• 1 year later...
Guest banherc

When you get a re-charge make sure they take out old refrigerant as this will also take out the old oil. They will then re-charge and also add new oil to the system. l do it my self as l'm a refrigeration engineer.

Also make sure they put in some fluorescence dye, this will help fault find if there is a leak on the system. l wouldnt expect to pay any more than £50 if l was going to get it done by someone else.

Done mine today, 44.95 in some local garage. It was high time, they took off 3 grams of oil and 80 grams of refrigerant, after that topped it with 80 (i think) grams of oil and 700 grams of refrigerant :D Now it's icy cold hehe

Guest banherc

Its worth while using your aircon all year round, this stops the compressor oil seal getting dry which will then start to leak refrigerant when dry. l'm lucky that l can remove and top up when l want, but l would recommend that its checked out at least yearly but you could go up to 2 yearly if you have no leaks, but as l said if you have fluorescence dye in the system and have a UV light source it wiil show up any leaks on the system which will help find the leak, if you have one.

Its worth while using your aircon all year round, this stops the compressor oil seal getting dry which will then start to leak refrigerant when dry. l'm lucky that l can remove and top up when l want, but l would recommend that its checked out at least yearly but you could go up to 2 yearly if you have no leaks, but as l said if you have fluorescence dye in the system and have a UV light source it wiil show up any leaks on the system which will help find the leak, if you have one.

The only problem with that is, the fuel consumption goes down even more when the AC is used all the time! :(