The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS 'Mushrooms'

SupraAyf

Guys,

I've been viewing all of the HKS 'mushroon' threads on the forum and I now think it would be a good idea to swap my HKS Filter for an Apexi-type. I've read a number of your comments informing the club members about the amount of crap they suck in to the engine so why do so many continue to use them. There are countless numbers of 'bit-hitters' on this forum that seem to have them fitted so what really is the final word on this matter before I depart with the cash?:search: :thumbs:

Cheers All, Andrew

I was about to ask what Bit Hitters are but I twigged that it's a typo for Big Hitters, right?

Who are you thinking of Andrew? I can't think of any single turbo owners who chose their own parts that are running a HKS Mushroom. I should think anyone who does have a single turbo Supra with the HKS filter would be planning to change it asafp, given their terrible rep.

I got rid of mine a few months ago and I took time to test the engineering of it before I threw it away. Round the edges of the mushroom is where the air is getting sucked in. On mine the entire edge had been pulled away so my car was breathing unfiltered air! The apexi is a different design and is much much much better.

Scared yet?

Cheers for your advice everyone! I think a quick change is in order.

Jake, there seems to be a few nice singles on here with HKS mushrooms. I've only just switched on to the forum and there were 2 singles in the pics at the top with HKS M's (SupraGold with an HKS TO47 and a different guy who I can't recall). They seemed to be quite common.

You're correct on the 'bit'; I did in fact mean 'big' hitters.

Cheers all,

Andrew:thumbs: :salute:

I think this is going to be my 100th post - monumental time or what!!;)

I've got blitz aftermarket kit and am also planing to revert back to a stock airbox purely to maximise the cold air feed.

Personally I can't see the point of having the filter stuck in the engine bay (gets frigging warm in there). Stock airbox for me until I make a better replacement (or if I change to FMIC I'll put the air filter where the SMIC used to be).

Look here for some test results http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

if you want aftermaket sucking in warm air in the engine bay, looks like apexi is the best out of the 4 tested there for filtration...

I was pondering over that idea myself during the recent fitment of my FMIC. It really does look an ideal location to take the air from! My Supe only comes out in fine weather so with a bit of protection, that should be fine.:thumbs:

Personally I can't see the point of having the filter stuck in the engine bay (gets frigging warm in there). Stock airbox for me until I make a better replacement (or if I change to FMIC I'll put the air filter where the SMIC used to be).

Agreed Miko m8 but are there any silver bling-type Apexi cones and fitment kits. I'm after as much silver-stuff as possible under the bonnet! Blitz do their silver metal alloy cones but not sure obout the Apexi range??:search:

Yup i've got a hks mushroom. its coming off in a few weeks when i get an apexi. Apexi looks better aswell.

Agreed Miko m8 but are there any silver bling-type Apexi cones and fitment kits. I'm after as much silver-stuff as possible under the bonnet! Blitz do their silver metal alloy cones but not sure obout the Apexi range??:search:

http://miami-gt.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/288?osCsid=8730baf60a8378e5ecb546b5d2bc5470

Option is a Chrome pipe and looks mint ;)