The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which brake discs?

Guest Phil Stephens

Guest Phil Stephens

Hi everyone, quick question if anyone can help- i have a jap spec 6sp twin turbo, with the bigger UK brakes front and rear. I'm going to replace the front discs and pads within the next couple of weeks or so. I was ready to buy the genuine toyota discs and pads when a gremlin came and sat on my shoulder and whispered in my ear that i should really upgrade the discs to 'hole and grooved' discs or whatever they may be called. Can anyone advise me on upgraded discs? - as in whats good and reasonably easy to fit?

Just to offer an opinion on replacing them, i went, on my old car, for the following disks. Must admit i didnt choose them as they were bought for me when buying my UK callipers, but was very impressed with them. A lot of people dont like the grooved and vented disks due to them warping fairly easily, but if you use them sensibly and dont sit there with your foot on the brake pedal you wont have a problem. I didnt anyway and found them to not only brake well but look very nice also.

They are the ones just passed half way down called "Rotora Rotor for 1993-98 Supra TT - Front - Cross-Drilled & Slotted"

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateE.asp?SubFolderID=199&SearchYN=N

personally i prefer plain discs, and I would assume that Toyota with their R&D muscle have done a superb job with their brake setup.

Having said that, I also use CW pads all round. They have never faded on me even once, and they bite fine too, both when cold and hot.

I would never go with "cross-drilled" ones, I've seen what happened on a mates scooby when a disc cracked! Admittedly I've no idea what make discs they were. Grooved may be ok but they really aren't needed and will just chew up your pads quicker.

Stock ones are good, cheap, and if you can brake hard enough for the ABS to kick in then there's no need for anything else.