The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new mkiv owner, few questions!

Guest hornetsfanjc

Guest hornetsfanjc

hey everybody I'm new to the supra world and I just got my first mkiv '97 supra turbo automatic. I just have a few questions

Is it easy to tell the difference between a 93 - 98 supra from the exterior? What is the significance you look for to identify each year?

How about telling if it's a Turbo or NA? Just so whenever I see Supras I can automatically tell if they're turbo or not.

Will running at top speeds occasionally melt pistons? So if I were to do runs up to 160MPH in it's basically stock form I won't risk breaking anything?

Also I used to own a Mustang so I want to know if you are able to floor it from a dead stop, halfshafts won't break will they? I know from my past vehicle when I floored it from a dead stop the rear end blew!

Just want to know the difference for when I go single turbo about the external, internal, and atmospheric wastegate? This is the sound that I want to go for at WOT where it just sounds like a beast.

Thanks for any help in advance! I appreciate it!

Hi Hornetsfanjc, there are differances between the early an late model soops, mainly lights an bumpers i think. the TT an n/a look the same from the outside, an inside cause theres no boost gauge on standard cars. Never heard of any pistons melting at 160, alot of big bhp soops still run standard pistons so can take alot. Not heard of anything breaking when going hard from a stanstill, but maybe someone else has. BOVS make the wooshing sound, an there are plenty to choose from, some louder than others.

hey everybody I'm new to the supra world and I just got my first mkiv '97 supra turbo automatic. I just have a few questions

Is it easy to tell the difference between a 93 - 98 supra from the exterior? What is the significance you look for to identify each year?

How about telling if it's a Turbo or NA? Just so whenever I see Supras I can automatically tell if they're turbo or not.

Will running at top speeds occasionally melt pistons? So if I were to do runs up to 160MPH in it's basically stock form I won't risk breaking anything?

Also I used to own a Mustang so I want to know if you are able to floor it from a dead stop, halfshafts won't break will they? I know from my past vehicle when I floored it from a dead stop the rear end blew!

Just want to know the difference for when I go single turbo about the external, internal, and atmospheric wastegate? This is the sound that I want to go for at WOT where it just sounds like a beast.

Thanks for any help in advance! I appreciate it!

Lol eager with the questions, use the serach facility and you can get answers for most of your queries easily.

When and if you do go single you'll have plenty of set up's to choose from, and they all come with external wastegates typically 50mm ones, and they all flutter:D

The only way I can tell if its a turbo or not from the exterior, is if they can keep up with me. :)

As for the 160mph thing, I doubt that really presents a problem, these cars have some seriously long legs, high end speeds seems to be where they shine the most IMO.

With regard to smashing drivetrain when giving it the beans from a standstill, I've personally never heard of any problems. I suppose it depends on how you do it, Burt told me the way to get the best launches with an auto is to power brake off the line, although this is very bad news for your gearbox and risk cooking it if done too much.