The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To BOV or Not To BOV?

DrivingTheDream

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you pootle about then you cant hear it. I was in the same situation a few months back, after i fitted it, i said to a mate "ah its a bit chavvy but bugger it" but the responce back was "its not chavvy on a car like that"

Also dont forget its funtional ;)

in the past ive heard loads cars with a big singles where when the guy lifted off the go faster pedal it made an awesome chatter noise. I was told that this was due to not having a BOV, and the turbo trying to stop spinning against the resistance of the gases. Is this right?? If so i must admit that its a much nicer noise than the hiss of a BOV but i must admit i wouldnt like to replace the turbos every year cos surely the build up of gases must damage them long term.

in the past ive heard loads cars with a big singles where when the guy lifted off the go faster pedal it made an awesome chatter noise. I was told that this was due to not having a BOV, and the turbo trying to stop spinning against the resistance of the gases. Is this right?? If so i must admit that its a much nicer noise than the hiss of a BOV but i must admit i wouldnt like to replace the turbos every year cos surely the build up of gases must damage them long term.

NO thats the large external wastegates they have, BOV (to atmosphere) have no adverse effect of J spec Cars ( No MAF) and if you are a single with external wastegate then you can still hear the chatter on lift off.

NO thats the large external wastegates they have, BOV (to atmosphere) have no adverse effect of J spec Cars ( No MAF) and if you are a single with external wastegate then you can still hear the chatter on lift off.

Ahh i see. cheers for clearing that up mate. So not having a BOV, even on a single, wont do damage to a J-spec car??

Standard J Spec Tubbies have internal wastegates which are very small and can suffer from over boost when fully decatted, the fact is that its internal and pretty small, to hear the chatter from outside you need a larger external wastegate which comes with a full single kit.

Ahh i see. cheers for clearing that up mate. So not having a BOV, even on a single, wont do damage to a J-spec car??

Lol think you mis understood, all turbos need BOV (recircualting) be it UK spec or J spec to prolong the life of the trubo, now the BOV's that go 'Wosh' are vent to atmosphere type and are only suitable for J spec cars as the use a map sensor to measure the air (i.e air after the intake) and UK specs measure air with a MAF (air before the intake),

as wosh type BOV dont recirculate air back in to the engine, the MAF on UK specs does not take this account and would still supply X amount of fuel hence it will run rich and can cause stalling problems,

The J spec does not suffer from this as the loss air is accounted for and it supplys fuel correctly.

HTH

Yeah you can, you can get recircualting BOV's for cars with MAF, and even ones which part vent to atmosphere and part recirculate, this does help illiminate the over fueling and stalling problems on MAF based cars, but the problem would still be apparant.

I have had my HKS SSQV for 2 weeks now and I am really pleased, was worried at first it would sound too loud but the more I hear it the more I love it!

At high revs you just get a quick high pitched whistle which sounds great, I also love the sound it makes when you slowly lift off as it starts to whistle, can only describe it as ch-ch-ch-ch. lol :)