The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can a supra sound like a TVR

ardasaliah

I Thinking about buying a TVR Chimarea- Went to see the third TVR today (in my Supra)- and guess what it would not start. Surprise surprise. The bloke was so embarrassed and claimed that he used to have a Supra that suffered from the same temperamental starting problem-

After 10 minutes of trying it fired up. BY then I convinced my self to keep the Supra and the reason I wanted a TVR is because they just sounds so good. I JUST LOVE THE GROWLL.

I have decided to keep my supra but would love it to sound like something resembling a TVR. My brothers got a performance exhaust on his Soarer and the sound is not nice. Its a low droning sound which sound very similar to others exhaust I have heard on supras

Is it possible for a Supra to sound like a TVR- More of a growl then a drone. Any exhaust recommendations

difficult one this,. i live very close to the ( now more quiet ) Tvr factory,..

id say it would be hard to make a supe sound like a TVr,. each push on the accelorator sounds like 10 ton of boulders being dropped :)

id suffice to say it would take more than a stainles steel straight thru exahust with no baffle., the v8 in the Tvr helps too :)

Forget about NUR spec, RSR, decat pipes, etc, they won't come close to the sound of a V8.

But... a single turbo with a tubular manifold and a Boostlogic 4inch pipe would do the trick. Anyone that has heard Terry's car go past at full chat will testify just how good a Supra can sound.

Exactly!! There's a bloke that lives half a mile from us who always does 50 in a 30 zone and doesn't seem that bothered if he mows a few kids down during his Sunday jaunt in his TVR soft-top (he's got a massive reseeding hairline also). He seems to drive around at 8am to ensure that the world and his wife is awoken by his presence on the road; so uncouth.

He has now been given a new name by all the locals; Wanker - did you expect anything else!!

There are one or two gracefully refined and 'less-common' Supra's round here and the locals love'em!! Enough said.:thumbs: :salute:

I don't understand. Why would you want your Supra to sound like a TVR? After all it's not a TVR it's a Supra.

I dunno. Where's the loyalty eh? :search: ;) :p

Chimaeras sound they way they do because it's a tuned/bored/stroked Land rover engine with a particular firing order and more importantly the exhaust headers were designed for acoustics first and foremost (want more power? Junk the daft exhaust system for some Tuscan Race Car headers).

You could make a Supra sound a bit like a Tuscan sp6 if you were decatted, unsilenced and using some lumpy cams. The turbo's will do their best to f*** it all up though.

Funnily enough when I went to test drive the first Chimaera, that wouldn't start either!

I Thinking about buying a TVR Chimaera-

because they just sounds so good. I JUST LOVE THE GROWL.

Is it possible for a Supra to sound like a TVR- More of a growl then a drone. Any exhaust recommendations

You're never going to get that burbling V8 sound from a straight 6 engine, its all down to the firing order and the way that the sound waves react to each other in the exhaust pipe.

TVR Chimaeras, Griffiths V8S and "wedges" only sound like they do due to their use (along with 99% of US engine manufacturers) of a cross plane crankshaft. If you listen to a flat plane crank equiped engine, in the TVR Cerbera (or the V8 Ferraris) the sound is completely different.

As you probably know, I've got a Supra and a TVR Griffith, they both sound good. Maybe the Griff sound is more noticeable when burbling around town, but get the RSR equipped Supra up to 4000 rpm, and you really can't tell me that doesn't make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end :)

CJs blue bullit sounded amazing, but I don't think there was a lot of silencing involved in the system :D

I'm in the process of obtaining a set of straight through (no silencers) pipes for the Griff, I'll let you know how the neighbours react :D

Seriously, if you want a straight up, non biased opinion about running a TVR (Chim, Griff etc.) without the continual jibes about breaking down, unreliable etc. give me a shout.

Rather than basing my coments on what I've heard or read, I'm actually living the experience for better or worse :D

You're never going to get that burbling V8 sound from a straight 6 engine, its all down to the firing order and the way that the sound waves react to each other in the exhaust pipe.

Hoorah - some sense in the thread!

People all too often get confused between loud and the V8 sound.

The blue bullet is a straight through pipe. No baffles at all.

GUYS! The engine in the Tuscans are INLINE 6's.

And I'd say the RS*R would be closest on a double decat, stock twins.

Are they? Blimey.

In that case go and ask Magnex to make you an exhaust as they make them for TVR.

Incidently I have the setup you mention and it doesn't sound like a TVR to me. :shrug:

Does sound good though.

Are they? Blimey.

In that case go and ask Magnex to make you an exhaust as they make them for TVR.

Incidently I have the setup you mention and it doesn't sound like a TVR to me. :shrug:

Does sound good though.

Depends on the TVR. A Speed6 sounds nothing like a AJP8 which shounds nothing like the RV8.

Depends on the TVR. A Speed6 sounds nothing like a AJP8 which shounds nothing like the RV8.

Very true.

A SpeedSix sounds Vrooooom Vrooooom BANG :bang:

An AJP8 sounds Vroooooooooooom pop po pop pop pop (due to its flat plane crank)

A RV8 just burbles until you give it some stick, then it shouts at you :D