The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra wannabe please be gentle

Guest jimmyb

Guest jimmyb

Hi guys gotta say what a good forum this is and some really useful information, but unfortunatly tuning one at the moment doesent seem possible for me finacially on the insurance.

Im 21 at the moment and used to paying high premiums my first car was a 1.6 8v 206 (felt fast at the time), second car is currently a 2.0 16v 206 Gti got this when i was 20 and had to pay 2.5k a year ot insure it but now ive topped the magic 21 im looking at either a Evo 6 (for handling) or a Mk iv Supra Twin turbo (for style and power) obviously id like a Aerotop but i think there outta my price range. Im looking to buy one about this time next year when ive finished with my Gti and just testing the waters to be honest about what i want. I absolutly love the look of a Kitted supra and would have a max of 8k to spend on one. Just wondering what the options were like and what sort of fuel consumption were like and pit falls to watch out for.

Obviously it's gonna drink more then my current car i just wondered if supras were as bad drinkers as Evo's at between 12 and 18mpg, as there not producing as impressive bhp to litreage figures. And at what revs do the turbo's kick in i think i read 1.5k and 4.5k?

Any help would be a great help guys, sorry if this is in the wrong section i couldent see a introduce yourself here section.

Fuel consumption is about the same (I get around 14mpg – 20mpg) Stick with the TT as when you get older it can be modified easier (Do a search on “Going BPU”) It depends what you want from it as well Evo 6 are nice cars but I don’t think they have the Awww factor about them.

Aero tops are a nice novelty but when I test drove one they seemed a bit "flexible" to me without the roof on.

If you have £8k then you will be able to get a descent TT, then you have an option of going manual or automatic both are very good but again depends on what you want or prefer

Some insurance companies offer 'classic car' insurance on vehicles over 10 years, such as Lancaster Insurance. This will usually cost less than 'non classic car' insurance.

I got 2 decent quotes when I was getting my Supra, one was the official Supra Owners Club Insurer (Sky Insurance) and the other was Lancaster Insurance, Lancaster was cheaper on a classic car policy by £500 for me, thats with an agreed value for the car and like for like on the mods (just like what Sky offer).

The only downside is I have limited mileage (not a real problem in my case) and Im not covered to drive another persons car 3rd party.

With regards to MPG, I calculated mine at 12 but I have a fuel management system mapped a bit richer than normal. It costs around £70 to fill the tank.

To keep the Supra in tip top shape, you'll have to service it more regularly than I guess you service your current car (oil change around 3000 miles for example).

Reliability is great, and its one of the best looking cars on the road...not to mention the performance of the TT :)

The FAQ forums have some very useful info too.

Guest jimmyb

Cheers guys, some great information for me to think over, it would have to be a manuel for me as i only started driving 3 years ago and really love the whole driving experience. I am falling in love with the looks of supras and they really do look like they cost alot more then they do when it's nice and clean. Thanks again lads.