The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car speeds question?

Guest uloveit

Guest uloveit

Hello. what is the top speed of a standard 3.0RZ and if it has same gearbox but 800bhp and nice big cams what would the final drive allow for top speed?

thanks

So basically your getting 30mph more for nearly 3 times the amount of power....... Shocking
Not shocking really. You can't raise the top speed above that unless you raise the rev limit or gearing - wouldn't matter if you had a million BHP.

You can't raise the top speed above that unless you raise the rev limit or gearing - wouldn't matter if you had a million BHP.

Interesting mate, I wasnt actually aware of that ;) I thought top speeds were down to power because of forces that are generated once you start reaching those sorts of speeds......

So if for instance I fitted a big arse single, I would still only get 170 odd, of course I see now, its still going to be hitting 7,500rpm or whatever at 170 for instance, its just that if you had 500+bhp then it would get there a lot quicker, right ?

That's theoretical top speeds due to gearing, not because of peak power at x rpm.

That's what we're talking about isn't it? Hence:

You can't raise the top speed above that unless you raise the rev limit or gearing - wouldn't matter if you had a million BHP.

Guest uloveit

another question.the cars got near 800bhp with a one off jun cams and can rev to 9000rpm so if the car will do 200mph at the normal rev limiter on big cams then this will go more than 200mph to the rev limiter at 9000 rpm? is it limited by the cams or final drive ratio? e.g if it had cams that rev to 10000rpm would it still pull higher top speed or will the gear be at its limit? just curious as to the standard gearbox and its final drive.

-----------------------------------------------------------

i used to own a type RA sccoby with clse ratio gearbox and the thing was standard.it was seriously quick due to the top end being only 140mph and changing into 5th was done at 100mph max! i wouldnt really want to go quicker than 155 as 1 its quick enough and 2 some cars are limited to that anyway so im thinking of having the gearbox rebuilt with different final drive and also gearing is one of the main factors at santa pod for quick times.if i change the gear so it does 160mph instead of 200 mph its going to be seriously quick in 5th gear from say 125mph to 160mph as its reduced by about half.also with that power the gearbox will need to be strengthened when it breaks anyway..

Guest uloveit

i know they do 0-60 in 2.6s. they would have slow 1/4 mile time because they be flat out half way up! if they put in correct gearing for the 1/4 mile they would loose there advantage and at only 300bhp/500lbs/ft not that quick,although being so light is a good start.

That's why I'm curious - quite often the car with the slower trap speed beats the other cars time, because it reaches that speed really quickly then levels off, while the other car continues to accelerate all the way through. I know a rally car is the extreme but I'd think it would still have a pretty good time (11 seconds?).