The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT/ Headlight

Paul

Bit of advice needed please.

I've got my mot tomorrow and have just spent an hour trying to dry one of my sodding headlights!

Got it dry, so I thought, then just looked and it's steamed up again, not as bad as before.

I know I've got to split it and do it properly, but won't have time before mot, so will this 'slight' fogging matter? Oh, also I found some 'Locktight' glue/sealer after trawling the RS book at work.Looks like it might be the buisiness as it sticks glass to plastic and comes in black.      Paul

If you take out all the removable covers from the lamp, some are held on with screws, the hair drier method works best.

Use a hair drier on a low medium heat, position the hair drier so that you can leave it for half an hour. I use bricks wrapped  in rags to hold the lamp in the right position.

Moving warm air will remove the moisture much faster than just heat alone.

If you do not blow the evaporating water away, as the unit cools down it will  condense on the cold surfaces of the lamp again.

That is just what happened to me the first time I tried to dry a lamp in a hurry.

(Edited by Phil Wall at 10:42 pm on Aug. 23, 2001)

Cheers lads, cleared up most with a hairdrier and then left the bulbs out overnight (lamp still on car)

Misting, but at a minimal this morning, and the guy testing it didn't say a word!. Had two new tyres fitted yesterday, other than that, it flew through.

Got another year now to do the lights properly:)

Thanks,

Paul