The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tinted my rear lights this evening.

Sub_Culture

Was tidying (yes, the 'T' word!!!) a cupboard earlier and found an old can of rear light tinting spray. Couldn't decide whether to use it for the sake of it, but figured I wanted to get late spec rear lights at some point, so if they looked shite, it was no big loss. And it would come off with thinners if I REALLY hated it, so took them out, and an hour later, put them back in again all sprayed and lacquered. I actually quite like them!

Before....

After....

All lights still perfectly visible....

But totally invisble when off. Well chuffed!.... Nicer than the standard, stock early spec jobbies anyway.

Andy

lol, phew, thanks, mate! Iwas a tad dubious myself, but figured no harm done if it all went catastrophic. I know it looks awesome on black cars, but Im now convinced brighter cars can get away with it too. Cant wait to see it in the dark. Far too many stairs for me to bother with now, though!

Andy

did you laquer to get a good shine to it?

I did, yeah. had some Halfrauds lacquer lying around (actually found it in the same cupboard... my early days of 'modding', eh? lol) so gave it a couple of coats just to give it a little shine and gloss. Most of the kids who use tinting spray dont bother with this and it really does make the difference from an okay look to a slightly more professional look.

Andy

Most of the kids who use tinting spray dont bother with this and it really does make the difference from an okay look to a slightly more professional look.

you managed to clasify me in that :D

When i had my fiesta i tinted my lights and suited the car great just never had a nice shine now i know why.

I'm now thinking about doing mine but what's the situation with doing this and the MOT etc?

basically the reflector must still reflect, normally if the reflector still reflects enough light shines through :)

when i done mine on an old car, mine failed once because the reflector no longer reflected. so i just redid them

I'm now thinking about doing mine but what's the situation with doing this and the MOT etc?

Well, by lacquering them, it should give them some reflective quality, so as long as you don't meet too much of an arsehole MOT-er and you dont go TOO dark (I could have gone a lot darker, you need to know when to stop. Very easy to over do it, as they go even darker as it dries), you should be okay. Mine is due an MOT in a week or so, so I will report back!

Andy