The mkiv Supra Owners Club

B*gger!! Urgent Wheel Lock nut help!!

kosmic

Was attempting to remove the special wheels nuts on my wheel mania pacific rims using the splined socket key and even though ive done this a million times and as careful as i was the ineviatable happened and i snapped the darn thing :(

Does anyone know or suggest anywhere where i can get a replacement?? They are special wheels nuts with six splined grooves on the outside and the socket similarly has six splined grips on the inside. Cant use gator grip or any of those gizmos as the space between nut n wheel is 3-4mm.

here's a pic of the broken socket.(excuse the dirty finger :D )

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/7194/dsc003209ki.jpg

the thing is,they arent acutally locking wheel nets as such but just special wheel nuts. So id have to replace all 20 of them!!!

My uncles just looked at it and reckons as its made of mild steel an enginnering shop should be able to weld it up?

Mate go to any good tyre place, they have key sets to get most type of nuts off, otherwise failing that I would James suggestion which I have had to do in the past, hammer the fucker on, it will cut its on shape onto the nut, the nut wont be usable after but it'll come off. And then go out buy yourself 16 normal nuts and a set of locking wheel nuts ;)

You should also get a code with your nut set, that you can contact the manufacture and they can replace your nut key......

Guest gzaerojon

how much clearance is there around the socket when its over the wheel nut? i was thinking of a piece of stainless steel tubing fitted around the socket to hold it back together

or flag down an AA van, i have a friend who works for them and he has a locking nut removal set

Mate go to any good tyre place, they have key sets to get most type of nuts off, otherwise failing that I would James suggestion which I have had to do in the past, hammer the fucker on, it will cut its on shape onto the nut, the nut wont be usable after but it'll come off. And then go out buy yourself 16 normal nuts and a set of locking wheel nuts ;)

You should also get a code with your nut set, that you can contact the manufacture and they can replace your nut key......

Exactly what i was thinking. Carlos who i bought the wheels off of is going to see if he can get another key for me from the place he got them from. Even the normal hex socket keys will have very thin sidewalls because of the limited space around the nuts. Such a stupid design considering its one of the most critical safety areas....

how much clearance is there around the socket when its over the wheel nut? i was thinking of a piece of stainless steel tubing fitted around the socket to hold it back together

or flag down an AA van, i have a friend who works for them and he has a locking nut removal set

Was thinking the exact same thing!!! may go to an engineering shop to have a thin sleeve slipped on to hold it together. The clearance is only like 3mm and i cant really whack the key on as it just slips as you turn it. Dont fancy doing that with the 19 other nuts either

wont it then be too wide to fit around the nuts?? how urgent is this? i.e do u have a flat?

What flat nuts :p

Im sure he said he had 3mm or so clearance aorund hits nuts, ooeerrr, all this talk of nuts man is starting to affect me in a strange way..... :(

is that 3mm clearance with the socket on the nut or not tho??

I presumed by what he said he had about 3mm clearance before the socket goes on over the nut, hence the idea that someone suggested about putting a colar around the socket wouldnt work, but thats me presuming, and I know where that has got me in the past, lol :D

Yeh its about 3mm clearance with the socket on, the thing is i dont have a flat but i dont fancy being caught out hence the urgency

That'll teach for presuming again then wouldnt it, as I said you had 3mm clearance before the socket went on......;)

if you have time to send it to me i can weld it up for you. ill get it back in the post asap. PM me if u want.

Thanks Adam, very kind of you. Ive just been to my local enginnering shop we are going to try and sleeve it, if it doesnt work il deffo take you up on that. thanks all!!