The mkiv Supra Owners Club

spraying dash which colour should i go for

steve0

well took near enough 4-5 hours getting the stuck on wood effect off my dash let that be warning to folk sticking on dash effects well going to paint mine my cars black looking for ideas on what colour i should try and any pics on what yous lot have cheers

alot of people have gone with silver, in my previous car (storm blue) i carried on the theme inside aswell - body coloured dash managed to find a paint similar to the toyota one.

since yours is black id probably say go for a nice black either matt or glossy depending on what you like. i have the stupid walnut dash on mine which ill soon be changing too. its fun spraying it :)

I have a Blue dash, will post pics tommorrow for ya, a bit garish for some but i love it.

I think u should pick any colour you like and add touches throughout the car.

Dark red i think would look great with black, u can then follow that thru to the engine spraying the cam cover fuse box etc etc. It'll be a work of art!

alot of people have gone with silver, in my previous car (storm blue) i carried on the theme inside aswell - body coloured dash managed to find a paint similar to the toyota one.

since yours is black id probably say go for a nice black either matt or glossy depending on what you like. i have the stupid walnut dash on mine which ill soon be changing too. its fun spraying it :)

Fun?, what, like getting stabbed?

Its a bloody awful job, well it was for me, I had to keep re doing bits of mine until it was perfect.

Fun?, what, like getting stabbed?

Its a bloody awful job, well it was for me, I had to keep re doing bits of mine until it was perfect.

EDIT - oh, and to answer the actual question to the post, I went for the silver along with some white indiglo dials, transforms the interior of the car and brings it right up to date.

Dark grey or black if you as me :ok:

Try using a barcoat quick drying isolator when priming the parts as it will stop any bleading or reaction from the surface underneath, its a bit more expensive than normal primer but worth it .:thumbs:

I've been wondering this too, my car is black.

I'm thinking I'd rather spray than cover it. I'm also thinking a matt finish will work better than a shiney gloss finish (like oem)

So for me it is either matt black or matt grey (graphite grey) I think. I like the unusual colours but think a neutral colour will be nicer to live with long term

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AlxRSPTT

I did mine a month or so ago, and I really like the color I chose. :p I just roughed up the stock finish with 800 grit and laid down some adhesion promoter, and it was good to go. I just got the paint at a local auto store, and it has a slight metallic look to it.

These 2 you can tell the difference between the stock newer style panels color an d my painted panels.

Alex

I'm currently thinking of doing the dash update thing, as I too have the lovely 'walnut' effect dash. I'm just very afraid of messing it all up, and it looks a very tough job.

a. I assume if I wanted the carbon style replacement, I just have to stick it over the original, or does it replace it, and

b. as the awful rubbery stuff has to come off, but with what?

Alex, yours looks great may I say. :)