The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1/4 mile times for auto vrs manual

supraaaaaaaaaa

BetterHmm well its all relative.

Outright power handling on stock box ..Manual wins

Drag racing and keeping within the Auto box power rating ( yet to be confirmed)

And paired up against a manual ...Auto wins.

Horses for courses.

But then there is always moded boxes and a whole host of other routes on autos.

yeah i just wonderd if there was anyinfo an actual time differences for them is it 1 sec or 5 secs or .1 sec if you know what i mean

i mean i would guess the fastest to be a manual only as the power can be much higher !!! :p

at high power in drag racing the auto is far superior ,especially with the TH400 amd powerglide boxes which are great for drag racing.

I think manual Twin cars can be just as quick in the right hands with the right tyres/set up-just look at the USA twin times and the UK twin times in supra chat

Hang on - didn't you ask this question with regard to "using fairly stock cars as a comparison"???

Auto wins in reply to the question as asked.

I have clocked a 12.87 1/4 mile in my auto with just a decat and a fuel cut defender - NO other mods.

:)

i did ask for fairly stock cars for example as i wanted to know an approx differnce between the two, but no one could answer that so it sort of moved on :D

thank you for your time, very nice time to !! was that total auto or did you do it part manual ?

Best bet bud is do a search for monkeymarks drag time thread. He has all the list of cars a specs on there that will give you what you want :)

Auto wins every time, fastest 1/4 in the US is an auto.

Another can of worms question :rolleyes:

the US autos is slightly different, they are using a 2speed autobox in their drag cars, and i the 6speed still isnt far behind:p

Standard specs say the manual is faster, in the supra book ive got it gives the uk spec manual quarter as 12.9s and the auto at 13.3.

But at the end of the day it comes down to the driver, the auto box changes gear at super speed and is hard to keep up with in a manual, but can be done. .. At the end of the day, the fastest supra in the uk is a manual :)

Dunno what you mean about waiting for it to wake up

but yeah the timing starts from when the car starts moving rather than when the lights change.

Ok, stock cars. You sit there in your manual at 3500rpm, lights green, you take off like a banshee. Meanwhile I'm granny starting from 600rpm.... by the time by second turbine comes online, you'd already have changed into second.

On paper the auto is quicker, in real life at a set of traffic lights on a dual carriageway the manual is quicker (as I found out when I got spanked by an NSX)

I think the official figures published for a totally stock car say the manual is quicker both at the 0-60 and on the 1/4 - but it goes with out saying - "only in the right hands" - the auto is easier and therefore more likely to get repeatable results everytime...

IIRC the time dif on the 1/4 is something like .3s or so, so it's not worth losing sleep over anyway ;)

cheers fo rthe imput guys answerd my question on it, i treid to read that thread on it, but without knowing all the mods people had it was hard to put it down to reality, i hadnt considerd the take off time vrs the shift times etc, still think im gonna try and go manual {was trying to put myself off it for an auto :p }

Ok, stock cars. You sit there in your manual at 3500rpm, lights green, you take off like a banshee. Meanwhile I'm granny starting from 600rpm.... by the time by second turbine comes online, you'd already have changed into second.

On paper the auto is quicker, in real life at a set of traffic lights on a dual carriageway the manual is quicker (as I found out when I got spanked by an NSX)

I launch my auto from 2000rpm in a race situation :shrug: