The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving an auto TT on track?!

montezumola

I've had the car for almost two years now and the urge to take it out on track is just too great. I'm hopefully going in 5-6 weeks time (airfield track) @ Keevil. :D

I'm getting UK spec front brakes & new CW SMIC installed in the next couple of weeks, along with a service - so it should be ship shape. :)

How do you Auto drivers drive your car on track? Overdrive Off, in MANU mode and flicking between 2nd and 3rd? .... I'm not sure I'd get too much out of 4th on this particular track, but if I do I'm going to be constantly flicking between manu-overdrive-manu- etc! :rolleyes:

You probably won't see Overdrive unless you get north of 140mph... Soop Dogg can certainly hustle an auto around a track, and he shifts manually with it. Chris Wilson wiped the floor with porsches once back when he had an auto. A stock one, with a buggered second turbo. So I think manually shifting with OD off should do you :)

-Ian

I prefer controlling it myself, moving between 2nd and 3rd mostly. 2nd gear + track really makes you appreciate the box. Its the 100% spot-on gear for many corners, where in a 6sp you find yourself too high in 2nd or too low in 3rd.

Enjoy yourself and make sure the condition of the car is tip-top prior to going mate.

Manu mode is definately your friend on track, don't be shy of dropping it right down into 1st on really tight corners too.

Your main worry is likely to be PAS fluid overheating on an airfield day, keep an eye on it and try to stay out for sensible periods of time with a decent cool down lap.

I've managed to enlighten a few auto hating stick wobblers at trackdays, have fun!

DEFINITELY in manual mode, you don't want it getting clever mid slide and changing up.... I am convinced that's why so many auto Supras bite the dust in the winter. If you are going to opush its limits MANU is where it's at.

IanC, it didn't have a buggered anything, except the driver :) I was surpriised just how competent an auto was on track days, even in the wet. She was a great car, never gave any real trouble at all whilst I had it.

MANU will hold the gear you select.

(Except 3rd if the revs drop too low. At that point it will change down to 2nd and change up when appropriate)

In MANU mode you cannot get into OD.

(Except if you are already in OD when you press the MANU button. Then it will hold OD until it needs to change down to 3rd, at which point OD will no longer be available)

Using the level to select a gear in normal AUTO mode will prevent it going higher than that gear, but it will still function as an automatic for the other gears.

(Therefore kickdown can still happen which is probably not what you want when driving around a track)

Using the OD button in normal AUTO mode will prevent it going into OD.

(Simply put, it turns your 4 speed auto box into a 3 speed auto box)

Does that help?

DEFINITELY in manual mode, you don't want it getting clever mid slide and changing up.... I am convinced that's why so many auto Supras bite the dust in the winter. If you are going to opush its limits MANU is where it's at.

IanC, it didn't have a buggered anything, except the driver :) I was surpriised just how competent an auto was on track days, even in the wet. She was a great car, never gave any real trouble at all whilst I had it.

:blush: My bad, that was that RX7 you had for a while wasn't it?

-ian