The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Using the standard jack

stevie_b

I know that there's more threads about jacking the car up than there have been recent news reports about metatarsal injuries.

However, I've searched and I just don't understand how the standard jack fits onto the supra's jacking points. From looking at the jacking point diagram in the supra manual (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=25700&d=1135252714), I've seen the rail that runs along the car on each side. The diagram depicts the jack being placed underneath this rail (between the two notches), but this rail is incredibly thin!!! I just don't see how the weight of one corner of the car can be supported by it, without the rail simply folding due to the force on it.

The jack has got a swively bit at the top, but the slot in this is much wider than the rail, and so the rail will buckle... won't it?

I'm obviously missing the point of it somehow: can someone enlighten me please?

The swivvelly bit on the jack slots over the rail, so the rail sits within the depth of the C-Section head of the jack. Then the car is supported both on the rail and the member along the body shell.

You are just changing a wheel yes?

You're not going under the car without proper stands?

Hi Rob,

No mate, I'm just going to do an oil change, and I need a bit of extra clearance under the car to fit the oil catch can beneath the sump. I just want to put a few turns on the jack, that's all.

I can see how my previous comment could be misunderstood! :) Crawling around under the car with just a scissor jack (or worse, bricks) for support is very dangerous. I meant with my severe lack of knowledge, it's dangerous for the well-being of my supra!! :D