The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Induction

mrpug106

Gonna start playing with my supra now,Been speaking to Nathan at TDI,(Gulp) and the Sup goes in on the 16th may for a HKS Indution kit and HKS irridium plugs,the first of many mods to come,As she was standard before this,Hopefully i can answer the question of (Are they any good as a mod).

Lance

Dont think it makes much performance difference 2-5 bhp ??

Thought the induction kit makes a lovely sound. (Just fitted it to my UK TT)

Dean..

ps. How much are you paying for the induction kit and fitting - it takes about 30mins to fit yourself... - I did mine round at Leons, while he was fitting springs.

Air filters are the more easy things to fit on an engine if you want to ease yourself into getting your hands dirty.  You'll be pleased you did :)

And I agree with Dean, it's a 30 min job even if you've never done it before.

£355 is a large quantity of cash to pay for two of the more contentious mods :)  but it's your money and your life!  And, you can let us know if it makes a difference...  Speaking of which, what are the benefits you are expecting from the spark plugs?

--------Air filters are the more easy things to fit on an engine if you want to ease yourself into getting your hands dirty.---------

Why get your hands dirty when someone else can do it for a mere £30,then if it goes wrong its their fault....

----what are the benefits you are expecting from the spark plugs?-----

None! except that i dont have to shell out the £100 for them next month when the sup goes in for a boost upgrade..(which is when there needed)

(method to my spending)

Lance

-----

Sorry, I didn't realise the labour charge was only £30 out of the £215!  I'm not au fait with induction kits, I got a HKS green mushroom one for fifty quid for my MkIII and fitted it myself, and that's about as much attention as I paid to the subject :)  What's this one?  Apexi metal cleanable type thingy?

The spark plugs would be a much colder grade, then, to deal with the higher boost, and I assume will last almost for ever like the platinum plugs?  I would hope so for 15 quid per plug :)

Got my  HKS super flow kit for £80 for the MKIV, fitted it myself in 25 minutes. While I was fitting it I became concerned about the lack of cold or ambient air available in the proximity of the filter intake. But I liked the sound, so left it on the car.

Power gains minimal with the standard mount, even in  in cold weather. In hotter conditions you will probably experience power loss, hot and less dense air is sucked in instead of ambient temperature air, causing a decrease in power.

I am thinking about an IC up grade and remounting the filter in the space left by removing the stock IC. I belive this is what Justin has done.

Well the plugs are in! and yes their colder plugs,the supra certainly needed new ones,now i feel it has the best plugs,(and yes they wanna last a lifetime.......)

As for the HKS induction kit.......Well it sounds the dogs do dars!the car does,nt feel faster,maybe smoother,but then it was hammering down all the way home.

That Nathan at TDI sure does know his stuff,he also knows how to suck money from ya,(what with "you now need this,and you now need that")but Hay Ho you pay to play.............

Lance

> am thinking about an IC up grade and remounting the >ilter in the space left by removing the stock IC. I belive >his is what Justin has done.

That is correct, but its not a job to be taken lightly at all.

Firstly, a large hole needs to be cut into the chassis,

then the headlight wiring loom needs to be moved

and then you'll need a one-off pipe which moves

the induction kit outside !!!!!!

Difference though is amazing, you'll gain from sucking

in colder air AND with less restriction than the stock

airbox. Downside is youll have to regularly clean your

filter (with petrol)

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Justin is right, the job should not be taken lightly but the large hole is not actually cut into any load-bearing region of the car's structure.

Also, your filter will need cleaning more often than if it were sitting in the engine bay. Just like, for example, your engine-oil should be changed more frequently if you are regularly running much higher boost-pressure than stock, and so forth.

Cleaning of the filter is easily achieved by rinsing the filter in petrol (quick-drying way) or by cleaning with washing-up liquid and water (overnight on the radiator drying job) and then it must be re-coated with filter oil.

HKS say the filter element must be replaced as it has a special coating on it, etc. etc. Frankly, I don't want to get into that argument. If you agree with HKS then simply replace the filter element... it is readily available at minimal cost.

For myself, I have a source of easily applied filter oil that comes in a spray-can that costs about a tenner and will last around 5 years with typical filter cleaning.

The filter location setup, applied to Justin's car, was a development model, originally fitted to my own MKIV, that utilised the stock intake pipe. We are currently developing a kit that will use two polished stainless-steel tubes (or alloy... not decided yet) that run from the stock intake, at the entry to the engine, and mate with the alloy elbow supplied with the HKS filter kit.

Please note that this modification can only be done if the stock intercooler has been replaced with an intercooler that mounts at the front of the car. There is a further proviso, however, and that concerns the water expansion tank.

The common place to refit the water expansion tank, following fitment of the HKS FMIC, is in the area of the stock intercooler... right where the HKS filter sits following our cool-air modification.

The stock expansion tank is a bit of a funny shape. Works well in the stock location, but it's a devil to find room for it once you take it from that stock position.

This problem has been got around by sourcing an alternative plastic tank, of a more suitable shape, that locates under the engine bay mounted on the chassis leg. Originally, our development model utilised an alloy tank (which some of you may have seen on Justin's car). This setup has now been changed in favour of a conventional, semi-opaque plastic tank that enables you to be able to see the water level and has HI and LO markers; in exactly the same way you would expect if Toyota had designed the whole thing from the outset.  

It is hoped, in the near future, that Branners can make a "group-buy" investment in the HKS filter kit and, hopefully, the saving on the filters will cover the cost of the cool-air conversion.

In other words, you get the extra pipes and new expansion tank for the same cost as buying just the HKS filter at UK retail price (or something quite close).

I note from the other list that owners have fitted the HKS filter and have been pleased merely with the sound it produced, regardless of whether or not there was any power gains to be had.

Well, to be quite frank, you'll be absolutely over the moon with the sound once you take the filter from under the bonnet. :) All that sucking and grabbing and howling is 10 times louder when not muffled by the enclosed area of the engine bay.

The effect is even more pronounced if you junk the stock, mechanical fan in favour of an electric fan conversion. Again, Justin's car has been used as a test-bed for this conversion which continues to undergo trials. Results to date have been very positive with a definite surge in mid-range power.

Yours,

J      

The fan is a single large fan that works in conjunction with the stock temperature sender, together with the stock relays and wiring. Thus making a very neat, stock-looking installation. We are currently in the process of designing a custom control box that will leave the fan running for a given time after ignition off, under certain conditions. Sorry, but the exact fan type is proprietary info so I cannot say. We are hoping to sell the fan conversion as part of a basic tuning package once trials are complete.

Yours,

J