The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Custom Stainless Steel MAnifold

mikeyb10supra

Hi Guys

I have managed to strike up a deal to have a custom 6 branch manifold made for my single turbo install....just a couple of questions, I understand manifolds have issues with extreme heat which can lead to cracking, is this the case with Stainless Steel, and also does the way its forged have some bearing on this??

I did ask for cast iron, but they dont do it?

Guest Terry S

no you want 321 Grade stainless, 304 being at the wrong end of the scale, and ask them what wall thickness they can get. Also the thickness of flanges is important.

I have used these in the past and very happy with the result.

Not used them for a manifold though, are you going for equal length with twin scroll support?

to be honest, I am still researching and learning about going single, so just exploring all avenues really, before I part with some cash, I take it the twin scroll support aids strength in some way??

no you want 321 Grade stainless, 304 being at the wrong end of the scale, and ask them what wall thickness they can get. Also the thickness of flanges is important.

Hi Terry

The guys said they only use 321 grade and maximum wall thickness they can offer is 1.6mm, is this adequate or will I need a thicker pipes??

Sorry to put a dampener on this thread , but WHY DO YOU WANT TO GET ONE MADE ?? You can get v good manifolds from Terry / Envy / TURBO FIT ..i cant wonder shy you want to re-invent the wheel....I havent cracked a manifold yet , and i have been through 3 units....

Sorry to put a dampener on this thread , but WHY DO YOU WANT TO GET ONE MADE ?? You can get v good manifolds from Terry / Envy / TURBO FIT ..i cant wonder shy you want to re-invent the wheel....I havent cracked a manifold yet , and i have been through 3 units....

I know what you mean mike....its like, if it aint broke dont try and fix it....I just like to try new things out, and maybe save some cash along the way, I know saving cash brings about the saying (pay cheap pay twice later) but I may get a quality product for a fraction of the price, on the other hand I could get a right bodge job....>.....at the moment, they are quoting me around £1100-1200 so not much of a saving yet :(

Guest Terry S
>.....at the moment, they are quoting me around £1100-1200 so not much of a saving yet :(

thats not just for the manifold is it??

Guest Terry S
Yep.....are you going to quote much cheaper now :D maybe it wont be such a tough choice after all, what do Arnouts units go out for??

well yeah TBH. Want me to PM you