The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rolling Arches!?

nismo_lp

Just gone from 225/35/19 tyres at the back (i know, i know... i got the car with them skinny ass tyres) and now have 265/30/19 (Eagle F1s 'nice and cheap, hummmmmmmm'... handles much nicer but scrapes the arch now ...

How much should i expect to pay to have the arches rolled???

Have you got lowered suspension?

I have the same size tyres and mine dont rub at all. Also have CW suspension fitted, so is a little lower than stock

Its his offsets, it has nothing to do with the tyre it self or the width of the wheels, the offsets are too small for the 10" rears he has.

Have you got lowered suspension?

I have the same size tyres and mine dont rub at all. Also have CW suspension fitted, so is a little lower than stock

...yeah its lowered on the bilstein sus... WKD??? Going to sound really stupid now ... but ... whats the offset?

The offset is the amount of the wheel centre sits from the centre of the hub.

It should be +50 on a Supra, but most after market wheels bring it down to +35, yours may be even lower if they are not Supra secific, possibly 20.

The offset also hugely affects handleing and tramlineing, or following the contours and seams of the road.

The offset is the amount of the wheel centre sits from the centre of the hub.

It should be +50 on a Supra, but most after market wheels bring it down to +35, yours may be even lower if they are not Supra secific, possibly 20.

The offset also hugely affects handleing and tramlineing, or following the contours and seams of the road.

OK thanks mate .... so basically take it back to the tyre fitters and tell them to sort out the off set???

It wont be that easy. The offset is part of the make up of the wheel.

An easy way to look at it is this.

When you stand at the rear of the car (a normal Sup, on bogo 17's) the wheels are dressed in a bit from the edges of the arches.

That is because the offset is correct.

Yours will be sticking out, and worst case is where they stick out past the wheel arch and look like some kind of reject from a days 'proffesional' tuning at a Ripspeed/Halfords branch.

Some times spacers have to be fitted to the wheels to move the inside of the wheel away from the calipers, that removes from the offset, eg a wheel with 40 offset and 15mm spacers will actually be a wheel with a 25 offset.

You need a new set of wheels, unless for some reason they have fitted spacers. But to fit spacers they should have extended the wheel nuts and have a sholder lip on them for the wheel to locate onto.

You need to find out what the offset is, and I would guess at about 20-25 from your description and the need to roll the arches.

It wont be that easy. The offset is part of the make up of the wheel.

An easy way to look at it is this.

When you stand at the rear of the car (a normal Sup, on bogo 17's) the wheels are dressed in a bit from the edges of the arches.

That is because the offset is correct.

Yours will be sticking out, and worst case is where they stick out past the wheel arch and look like some kind of reject from a days 'proffesional' tuning at a Ripspeed/Halfords branch.

Some times spacers have to be fitted to the wheels to move the inside of the wheel away from the calipers, that removes from the offset, eg a wheel with 40 offset and 15mm spacers will actually be a wheel with a 25 offset.

You need a new set of wheels, unless for some reason they have fitted spacers. But to fit spacers they should have extended the wheel nuts and have a sholder lip on them for the wheel to locate onto.

You need to find out what the offset is, and I would guess at about 20-25 from your description and the need to roll the arches.

Thanks for the help. The wheels dont really protrude out from the arch, it only just contacts where the arch rolls over. No... no spacers so i guess my only choice is o get the arches rolled then?

So how will having a wider off set then it shoud be effect the drive? Surely it cant be too much of an issue... people with wide arch kits must have to use spacers to get the wheels flush with the kit and have a much wider off set then standard?

Please dont tell me they cut the Lip of the quater ???

Nope, the lip is there for strengthening the edge of the arch.. :)

They actually trimmed mine as follows, 3 - 9 O'clock possitions are still full lip and as they get near the top 12 O'clock the lip gets thinner.

Mine is about 5 mm at the very top and its all been treated and sealed :)

One further thing that was found out is that the facelift cars and some jap imports have actually got spot welds on the inside of the arch lip..

This makes rolling them a NO NO as it will no doubt crack the paint and push through to the out arch wall like a visible ball bearing under the bodywork.

Toyota being quirky doing this on a few cars I guess :)