The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What are your fellings on dynos lads

supraaaaaaaaaa

okay being a vauxhaull man for many years {i know i know i have seen the light}

i was always an at the wheels figure person as it takes tranny losses into account and doesnt rely on tweaking with software to get a good figure :p

but when people quote on here are they @ the wheel;) people or @ the fly people :tongue:

At the wheel for me, I wouldn't even know where to begin estimating the losses through the automatic transmission. Plus most dynos have different conversion factors so you can't compare. In theory an at the wheels figure could be compared between dynos.

Mike

My opinion is that Dyno's (rolling roads or hub mounted) should be used for tuning purposes only. Why bother going to a Dyno place to get a power figure? Just make it up and add 100. That should impress everyone at the pub :D

With the ammount of people on here that have been to a dyno it does give a pretty good idea of what mods get what power though - so n00bs can get an idea of what they need to do to reach certain levels of grunt. I've always used a hub figure (because that's the only dyno I ever went on! :D ).

My opinion is that Dyno's (rolling roads or hub mounted) should be used for tuning purposes only. Why bother going to a Dyno place to get a power figure? Just make it up and add 100. That should impress everyone at the pub :D

I'm with Colin on this one.

When you're tuning a car a dyno is an invaluable tool, as long as you always use the same set of rollers.

A one off power chart is meaningless and usually ends up in the owner being dissapointed with a car that they previously were quite happy with.

I'm sure if we took a poll of people doing a shootout, most would expect their cars to produce a higher figure than they actually got :(

As for at the wheels or flywheel. The flywheel is the best place to get the reading, but obviously this means removing the engine, so at the wheels is probably easiest.

Regarding taking a reading at the wheels and then calculating what the figure at the flywheel MAY be, this is far too inaccurate to be of any use apart from pub bragging rights.

With a few cleverly crafted calculations you can turn a gutless wonder into a tarmac eating monster, and vice versa :D

Hub dynos are more accurate than wheel dynos (not for a flywheel figure) because you don't get varying levels of grip and tyre pressures etc. that will affect the reading. You still have to guess your losses to get to your pub figure though.

Guest Terry S

At the moment the Dyno Dynamics rollers seem to be throwing up the most realistic figures. They may not be what people want to hear, but they seem pretty accurate. Even so, things like the ramp rate can be altered to give a higher figure if the operator is so inclined.

There are so many things that can cause a dyno to give bogus figures that as the others have said, unless you want your sheet as a penis enlargement tool, regard it as a tuning comparison sheet.