The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone doing Oulton this Friday with EasyTrack?

Chris Wilson

No doubt no one is, you are all too busy with amazing polishes, recalcitrant body kits and 46 inch wheels, but in the dubious hope someone will eventually use their car regularly on a circuit, not worry about stone chips, the odd scuff and the fuel bill, is anyone going to be bringing their machine to Oulton this Friday? Astound me, I dare you.... :) Surely all these single kits that have recently become the rage need testing out at somewhere more worthy than Tescos car park, the local industrial estate or the nearest chav infested town centre?

No doubt no one is, you are all too busy with amazing polishes, recalcitrant body kits and 46 inch wheels, but in the dubious hope someone will eventually use their car regularly on a circuit, not worry about stone chips, the odd scuff and the fuel bill, is anyone going to be bringing their machine to Oulton this Friday? Astound me, I dare you.... :) Surely all these single kits that have recently become the rage need testing out at somewhere more worthy than Tescos car park, the local industrial estate or the nearest chav infested town centre?

:lol:

Completely off-topic, but, any news on the SMIC front? ;)

Love to, but I've used all my track day 'points' until August on bike days.

I.E. Cadwell on Saturday, Snetterton on 22nd!!

Have you got any other days booked for later in the year?

Loads, mainly Oulton and donington, some with the Nissan, some with the Zeus. A Silvestone "noisy" day too, again, for the Zeus.

I take it most people on here don't 'track' their cars?

Bit of a contrast to the bike site I'm a member of where it's rare to talk to somone who doesn't use his / her bike on track. In fact, theirs a separate forum just for track days.

Sad but true. I see plenty of Skylines, 200SX's, hoardes of Lotii, Caterfields, those expensive but always so slow plastic Ford V6 engined things, and a smattering from most manufacturers but Toyota, save the odd MR2.

My MKIV auto was a fantastic track day machine, even in the wet, I just don't get how people can spend so much on performance stuff then risk their licences poncing about on the roads at illegal speeds, now that track days are plentiful, fair value, and well organized.

Great news Chris! :ok: I'll give you a ring later today ...

Getting back on-topic - Oulton Park was featured on Top Gear (latest episode) with James May & Jackie Stewart chucking around a rather tasty TVR ... looks like a great circuit! Just a bit too far for me, especially with Castle Coombe nearby ... :)

I have only done them on a bike, how much is the cost of the day (not inc fuel etc, just the booking), how long are the sessions, and are they in 3 groups, track virgins, intermeidiats and liars?

Average between 120 and 220 quid a day. Some are sessioned, some are not. Some are track day novices only. Average 20 minute sessions, when sessioning is run. Get it booked in.... :)

I'm coming Friday afternoon as promised, leave work about 12:30, arrive at Oulton around 14:00?

In the Tiger if the weather is right. It's also my dads birthday so he's coming along too. Hopefully can get half a day out of them, couple of sessions will be enough fun for me.

Chris,

Whan you say plastic ford engined V6, are you referring to a Noble. Please don't tell me your decatted auto was a quicker track car than one of those machines? Mucho respecto if that's the case!! :)

PS I like to track my Mini as I couldn't afford a smash in the Supe - and modifying the Mini is easy and cheap and you don't need much space to work on it. 120bhp in 550kg is reasonably quick! :)

I'd love to do a track day but the Supe is my daily drive and I can't afford to have an off or even put extra wear and tear on my tyres and brakes. Actually, maybe when I know they need doing anyway..... :eyebrows:

Good news on the SMICs.

In seriousness, other than the cost of the trackday itself, what other costs does a trackday extract from a Supra?

I hear horror stories about shredded tyres, cooked pads, warped disks, etc, and it's those that put me off the idea.

Also, is it possible to get insurance? I would be too scared of my (or someone else's) feeble abilities to drive on track without it.

I'd do more track days except I have far too much mechanical sympathy. They are a lot of fun but I stress (way, way) too much over this sort of thing, and my Supra is my only transport. It murders the tyres, pads, and discs. It can also do bad things to the paintwork, and I also had to have a new windscreen after one.

The good thing is that I realised a) I can drive on a circuit better than I thought I could, and b) I know now I use about 50% of my car's braking and cornering ability on the public roads even when having a 'hoon' - which has to be a good thing.

One day I'll build a little trackday-only caterfield thing. Well, a stretch one anyway ;)

-Ian