The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rear sliding out

gaz1

i have a 94 jspec auto, and wonder about rear wheel slide, i have only had this in the wet, i was boosting 0.9 but now 1.2 and soon 1.3,i hear about nearly losing it in the dry,so what sort of power i people pushing out for that to happen in the dry, or am i just lucky,but i can floor it from standing to max without anyslide at all:search:

am i just lucky,but i can floor it from standing to max without anyslide at all:search:

Well you have been lucky so far ;) or your car is running so sick that it can't pull the skin off a rice pudding :)

Realistically, when people talk of the rear sliding, its when they're going round a bend (like I am with the recent glut of stupid fucking questions on this BBS :D)

Best thing to do is get up to a roundabout, wait until you get to your exit and then floor it, you'll stand a good chance of getting the back out then :D

my car (Manual 6 speed BPU 1.2 bar) has broken traction through 275/30/18s on the rear, with LSD, in 4th gear in the dry on a good road!!! I did a sharp change from 3rd to 4th flat out and it lost grip and standard TC came in and killed the power totally - doh!

it does perform very well all things considered, hence why I'm getting RLTC fitted asap :)

I don't even floor it in 1st or 2nd it would be crazy. From 3rd up it is usually ok but it is suprising how quick even a bpu car is, you can't ignore the laws of physics

cikey you cant boot it in 1st or 2nd this will take some getting used to every other car ive had you have to !! just to get them to move :p

well you can if you are careful but the car has such a wide range of power and torque I like to get it up into 3rd before really opening her up. So I get through 1st and 2nd with granny shifting quite quickly. This will change no doubt with RLTC as you will be able to accelerate at the maximum possible rate allowed by the grip of your tyres without the fear of it suddenly breaking away violently...

cikey you cant boot it in 1st or 2nd this will take some getting used to every other car ive had you have to !! just to get them to move :p

And this is why so many new owners smash the cars up.

A powerful RWD car is something you have to learn to drive properly.

Get in it and floor it everywhere and we'll soon be reading your post "I've smashed up my Supra" :cry:

And we know it won't be your fault. The 2nd turbo will just have suddenly cut in, or you'll have skidded on a patch of imaginary diesel :rlol:

Rear traction will depend a lot on the suspension set up you have, with a 'slammed' oversprung rear suspension set up, the rear wheels will spin and step out a lot easier. If you have decent ride height and decent suspension then the rear wil squat slightly under acceleration and the power will be transferred to the road.

Saying this, even with decent suspension and ride height it can be easy to loose traction on the rear at BPU levels in first and second (and on a cooler day in 3rd) in a manual, not sure how this compares with the auto.

ps. the rear diff will also effect how much a car will step out.

And this is why so many new owners smash the cars up.

A powerful RWD car is something you have to learn to drive properly.

Get in it and floor it everywhere and we'll soon be reading your post "I've smashed up my Supra" :cry:

And we know it won't be your fault. The 2nd turbo will just have suddenly cut in, or you'll have skidded on a patch of imaginary diesel :rlol:

hence why i have no intention of doing that, i dont want a car with loads of mods etc just a good clean car and i have a few mods that are planned asap

i have been thinking of tein adujsatbles all round, and rltc as well, and maybe even a nice lsd to match before i start adding any more bhp {other than that of an exausht gains}

i have total respect for cars, it was more of a jesting comment :p