The mkiv Supra Owners Club

taking supra to spain, are there any restrictions?

tinkerbell

Guest mk47

not sure about restrictions etc.. but spain have some wierd law re cars and also make sure it doesent get impounded! im sure someone will tell u the stupid reason why - but i cant remember!

I looked into taking My supra when I was thinking of moving back to the canaries ( ok it's a bit different ) but the spanish laws are the same. You basicaly get a 6 months grace period where you can drive it on UK Docs and plates. There are ways to cheat this and none of them particularly " legal". If you plan to keep the car or residence any longer than 6 months then you have to register the car over on to Spanish plates. This is neither cheap or easy and can be a right pain in the butt if you decide to do it yourself. I would say get an agency to do it for you as you will have to organise the eqivalent of their test ( more anal than here specialy modded cars) and the bunkum of paperwork that goes with it. It's not impossible BUT they have been know to slap an Import Tax onto the car also which from what I have been told is quite a bit making a lower value car not worth it. You will also have to take into account driving a RHD car on a permanent basis, It can be a pain on a day to day basis, tolls, and the all too important drive throughs lol.

Here is one of the sites amongst the many that can be found on google as TBH im sure there is some things i have missed or totaly of base on. Whatever you decide good luck with it :)

http://costablancaexpats.net/pats/trafico.txt