The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual button next to auto lever? What does it do?

doeboy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest supra01

What does that manual button do next to the auto lever on an auto supra?

Intersted to see if it helps with fuel economy>>?

it does exactly that

when the overdrive is OFF

the revs run higher

the car is faster

and more nippy

when its on

u can jump on the pedal

it wont instantly fly off

and the top speed is limitied to 130

top speed with overdrive OFF is like 190

on bpu

prob 160-170 on standard

hope this helps you

Adam

it does exactly that

when the overdrive is OFF

the revs run higher

the car is faster

and more nippy

when its on

u can jump on the pedal

it wont instantly fly off

and the top speed is limitied to 130

top speed with overdrive OFF is like 190

Please don't answer questions in the Technical section. You clearly have NFI what you're on about.

Guest supra01
Please don't answer questions in the Technical section. You clearly have NFI what you're on about.

ok can you tell us all ??

Guest supra01

What does that manual button do next to the auto lever on an auto supra?

Intersted to see if it helps with fuel economy>>?

It doesn't affect the rev range at all. That's why with O/D Off you can't go above 120mph, cause that's only achievable in 4th gear.

Example 1

Amagine this, you're in a manual crusing along a nice stretch of single carriageway A-road. You come up behind a couple of lorries doing a far from acceptable speed. So you decide to overtake. You watch the on comming traffic, you see a gap about to approach so you drop it into 3rd to bring the revs/boost up, and as the last car passes you pull out and boot it. A perfect overtake.

Now amagine doing it in an automatic. You do nothing, as the last car goes past you pull out and kickdown. Can be very dangerous especially in the rain. You're pulling out in a high gear, then the car is changing down a gear, then you're shooting up the rev range probably engaging the 2nd turbo in the process. Then finally you have full power to overtake, by which time you've already (slowly) done half of the over taking. The reason I say it's dangerous is for the same reason you try to avoid the car changing down whilst going around a roundabout, you could lose the back end in the wet.

So, the what you do is turn off the overdrive. That drops the car into 3rd, which means you'll be higher up the rev range and hopefully have the 2nd turbo engaged in a controlled maner. When you pull out you instantly have all the power there at your disposal. No waiting for gear changes, boost increases etc.

Example 2

Imagine you're on some twisty roads and having some fun. In a manual you'd probably keep it in 3rd, only chaning down to 2nd for tight corners and only going into 4th+ for long straights.

What happens in the auto, you accellerate up to a corner, take your foot off to go round the corner and it changes up a gear. You put your foot down coming out of the corner and it changes down gear up, then up, then down, always changing between 3rd and O/D. Turning O/D off prevents this, it also give some engine breaking when entering the corners, and means you have more power there when coming out of them. If you reach a slow corner then it will still drop down into 2nd, just like you would in the manual.

Example 3

Touched upon above really. You're going down a steep hill. In a manual you could put it into 3rd to get lots of engine breaking to make the decent at a safer speed without over heating the breaks. In an auto you can turn off O/D to achieve the same thing.

Does that help?

Adam

Yup, top speed in an auto is in 4th gear (obviously).

But I've been thinking about this recently and I think I'm going mad..... I come off a roundabout near me and put my foot down in manual mode. I shift into 3rd and when I hit just over 100 leptons I put it back into auto mode so I can use 4th gear when the time comes. Now I swear that the revs take a quick jump when I put the car back into auto :conf: All this is at WOT and in both auto and manual mode the car is in 3rd gear.

How is this possible? I'm sure it's not my imagination, the revs DO make a quick jump when I move from manual to auto mode at WOT in 3rd gear, even though my judgement tells me that the gear ratios are the same.

It doesn't affect the rev range at all. That's why with O/D Off you can't go above 120mph, cause that's only achievable in 4th gear.

Example 1

Amagine this, you're in a manual crusing along a nice stretch of single carriageway A-road. You come up behind a couple of lorries doing a far from acceptable speed. So you decide to overtake. You watch the on comming traffic, you see a gap about to approach so you drop it into 3rd to bring the revs/boost up, and as the last car passes you pull out and boot it. A perfect overtake.

Now amagine doing it in an automatic. You do nothing, as the last car goes past you pull out and kickdown. Can be very dangerous especially in the rain. You're pulling out in a high gear, then the car is changing down a gear, then you're shooting up the rev range probably engaging the 2nd turbo in the process. Then finally you have full power to overtake, by which time you've already (slowly) done half of the over taking. The reason I say it's dangerous is for the same reason you try to avoid the car changing down whilst going around a roundabout, you could lose the back end in the wet.

So, the what you do is turn off the overdrive. That drops the car into 3rd, which means you'll be higher up the rev range and hopefully have the 2nd turbo engaged in a controlled maner. When you pull out you instantly have all the power there at your disposal. No waiting for gear changes, boost increases etc.

Example 2

Imagine you're on some twisty roads and having some fun. In a manual you'd probably keep it in 3rd, only chaning down to 2nd for tight corners and only going into 4th+ for long straights.

What happens in the auto, you accellerate up to a corner, take your foot off to go round the corner and it changes up a gear. You put your foot down coming out of the corner and it changes down gear up, then up, then down, always changing between 3rd and O/D. Turning O/D off prevents this, it also give some engine breaking when entering the corners, and means you have more power there when coming out of them. If you reach a slow corner then it will still drop down into 2nd, just like you would in the manual.

Example 3

Touched upon above really. You're going down a steep hill. In a manual you could put it into 3rd to get lots of engine breaking to make the decent at a safer speed without over heating the breaks. In an auto you can turn off O/D to achieve the same thing.

Does that help?

Oh for God's sake. :banghead:

He's not asking about the Overdrive Off button - he's asking about

the Manu (manual mode) button.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=869445&postcount=4

Oh for God's sake.

the Manu (manual mode) button

Yep... thats what i'm asking!! Not what the overdrive button does, i know that. Its the black manual button with the letters ECRIS or something written next to it?

Any ideas guys!!

Sorry I meant to say whats the top speed with it OFF when its only got the 3 gears ?

I think it's around the 120mph mark.

Doeboy check out the second link that Kopite posted on the first page - the manu button puts the gearbox in manual mode so you can use the L, 2 and 3 positions on the gearshift to manually change gears.

Oh for God's sake.

the Manu (manual mode) button

Yep... thats what i'm asking!! Not what the overdrive button does, i know that. Its the black manual button with the letters ECRIS or something written next to it?

Any ideas guys!!

Just after that info myself ! While it was mentioned.

I think it's around the 120mph mark.

Doeboy check out the second link that Kopite posted on the first page - the manu button puts the gearbox in manual mode so you can use the L, 2 and 3 positions on the gearshift to manually change gears.

Thanks !

Lets have a go. when your in manual mode u can use the gears as manual. L being 1st gear, 2 is 2nd gear n D is 3rd gear.u cant get 4th gear when your in manual mode. it does what it says, manu is manual gears. am i right?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_grin.gif