The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Tyres?

Rob Davey

After 6000 miles my rear Goodyear F1 tyres are toast - and I really don't drive that hard or badly, no spinning, sliding or donuts! This can’t be normal – or is it!?

Most of my driving is motorway commuting.

So question… what’s the best life/performance compromise tyre?

No thats not normal, I got 7k out of mine and then gave them to my brother who got another few thousand out of them. Must be something up with your alignment... was the wear across the tyre even?

Good tyres: Bridgestone S03, Pirellis, Michelins, Goodyears etc etc, whatever you can afford :)

I dunno, my wear was very even.. I think you should check your alignment otherwise you'll be going through another pair very quickly.

I've just come from a set of Pirellis (not known for their hard compounds) last 12k miles on my rears.

Rob,

I've got Conti Sport Contacts on my car (Soarer TT)...

I probably drive a bit like you (snore....).

I have done around 14 k in them and they are about 2/3 worn. Quiet and have not needed to worry about grip etc.

And they were cheap too £95 each.......

I've just had a look on mytyres and can only see contacts 2 and 3 and they are far from £95 each! (150-170)

Where did you get them from?

...and any traders I need tyres!!! 2 x 255/35/18

Pro Tyre in Bristol.

My wheels are 17's tho....

Don't know how much they are this year....

One tyre that has been recommended to me on another forum is Nexen

Here's the quote:

"..picked up a full set of Nexen N3000 and cant fault them for the money, they offer great grip in the wet and dry and there cheap as chips as well

265/35/18 £85 each

235/40/18 £75 each

Not sure if they come in 275s though? ...."

I haven't tried these yet though and note the comment on 275's...

Nexen1a.jpg

They look the part and could be a bargain, but I've never heard of them!

At that price I think it best to get the opinion of someone who has run them on a Sup... anyone have an opinion?

This came off a Soarer forum Rob. Sister(?) carm so shouldn't be too much problem I would think.

I like the Contis if you can get them cheap.

Some tyres here Rob..

http://search.ebay.co.uk/255-35-18_W0QQfcclZ1QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1

brgds...

One tyre that has been recommended to me on another forum is Nexen

From Blackcircles.com:

The Nexen N3000 tyre is the new breed of performance mid-level tyres. The life isn’t as good as a Michelin Pilot Sport for instance; however in all departments the Nexen N3000 delivers more than it costs. Value for money and a level of performance that dosent seem to match what the price would have you expect – brilliant. If you wanted to upgrade from the Nexen N3000 we would recommend a Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 or Michelin Pilot Sport 2.

Life: 3 out of 5

Handling: 3 out of 5

Noise: 3 out of 5

So cheap, but quite good. Probably better than my Nankangs that are only suitable for milk floats.... so i'm told :p

Is that in Totterdown??? If it is they're really cheap, almost like they've stolen them!!

I think they may have been the original Sports Contacts. There is no "2" or "3" marked on them. They have a tread pattern more on the lines of the Contact 3's than the Contact 2's.....

Maybe they were end of line or something. Damn good tyres tho..