The mkiv Supra Owners Club

changing boot rubbers!!! - Help!

DBR

Peel off all the old perished rubber till you can see the metal mounting plate, cut the raised edge with side cutters and flatten down, grip knackered phillips head screw with small molegrips and unscrew. Replace with cap screws, so much easier to get out next time.

I've change about 6 sets of these for various people, done it the same way everytime.

yeah a bit of heat loosens the glue and makes them much easier, that would be the best bet.

Wish I'd known that before I did mine, the crappy screw heads rounded and so I had to carefully cut a new flat slot in the top using a hacksaw blade and then managed to use a large flat blade to get them out, using lots of brute force...

def get new screws to replace the old, they have a much better design :)

I used a Stanley knife to cut away some of the rubber around the screw - came out first time, no hassle at all then. Maybe I was just lucky and didn't have any threadlock on mine.

you must have been lucky, I cut mine away totally down to the metal but they were well siezed in there...

Guest shanksy5

Yeah, mine were a bit of a nightmare too.

The replacement rubber stoppers can be purchased from a Toyota dealer for about £8. After removing the old stoppers, I stripped the head of the screws trying to get them out. In the end I had to file a new flat slot with a hacksaw blade, heat the screws and use a fair amount of force to get them out. Took quite a while in the end, but the boot doesn't squeek any more so it was well worth it.

Careful of the paintwork though, especially if using heat and/ or a blade.