The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Very quickly...

nismo_lp

yarp... ive got 2 mechanic friends that say that its impossible! Without being too technical... how does this happen?

The stock exhaust and cats are quite restrictive and so limit the boost. Removing this restriction overwhelms the small wastegate on the turbos and so you get a big increase in boost. A restrictor ring is usually fitted to limit the boost.

The UK spec is different as it has a bigger wastegate in the turbo that is able to limit the boost still even when the cats are removed.

the garage i used to use, told me to increase boost on a j,spec you need a boost controller, i said what about a restrictor ring,after getting advice from people on here,as the turbo,s will boost to high, his reply was ear mate if you have no boost controller how will you increase boost,i said they will boost themselves as they are restricted by the cats,he laughed mmm hence why i USED to use that garage, but no more:d

the garage i used to use, told me to increase boost on a j,spec you need a boost controller, i said what about a restrictor ring,after getting advice from people on here,as the turbo,s will boost to high, his reply was ear mate if you have no boost controller how will you increase boost,i said they will boost themselves as they are restricted by the cats,he laughed mmm hence why i USED to use that garage, but no more:d

You've got to worry hey! LOL ... My mates were having a proper arguement with me about it y2day ... said its impossible!

Well, there are about 500 j-spec supra owners who have decatted and had the boost go up, about 2 that have decatted and haven't had the boost go up, and then there are your two mates who fit into neither of these camps :)

-Ian