The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Powerflow Exhausts

Guest Garfy

Guest Garfy

First of all does anyone here make Powerflow Exhausts?

The reason I ask is that my Uncle is a manager for a company called Autowise and they are about to start making and fitting these exhausts, so I will be getting one fitted within the next month, (he has broken his hand when racing his mini moto, so I have to wait for that to heel) and I wanted to know your thoughts on them, I have had one fitted to a MX5 many years ago and I was very happy with it, but I just wanted to know if they work well on a Supra.

Also I have mentioned to him about sorting out a price for exhausts for any of you guys if you want one.

So if anyone is interested I will take photos of the job in progress and when finished and post on here with a report and price.

What do you think? I don't want to upset any traders so if any one does already deal in these let me know and I will sort something out.

Thanks,

Garath

I rang them ages ago now when I was after a new exhaust on the cheap, they told me they could only do pipework upto 2" diameter (so not big enough for the Supe)... however it did sound like I was being fobbed off for some reason.

Guest Garfy

I guess he could do, but as I said I don't want to tread on anyones toes, so I will leave that one alone for the moment, but if you want to contact Autowise yourself then please do, I will post contact details once I have got My exhaust sorted out.

Guest Garfy

I know what you are saying, "results vary depending on who does it", that is why I would only let my Uncle do it, he is the only person I trust with my car, so you can rest assured it will be a top quality job.

I was thinking of using my car as a bit of a test bed to get it 120% right then maybe make a pattern, something like that anyway.

Guest Garfy
2.5" is still a bit small really... what is he making up for you?

What ever I decide at the time, but it will probably be straight through with 2 resonators and one box on the back, and I will have to decide on what tail pipe I want when I see then all,

so you think 2.5" is still to small then?

Guest Garfy
I think 2.5 is the stock diameter, it would be ok but you'd really want 3" :)

What if it went both sides like the stock one does then into the one box at the back, so more or less the same as stock but without the two boxes in the middle, if that makes any sense.

• 1 month later...
Guest Garfy

Ok Everyone, I will be getting this Powerflow Exhaust done later this week, it will be a 2.5inch pipe, and we will be removing one of the cat's

I will take photos of the whole process, and report our findings, if there is enough interest,

so let me know if you are interested guys and girls.

Garfy.

I think 2.5 is the stock diameter, it would be ok but you'd really want 3" :)

Maybe if you're going single. If you're keeping the stock turbos or going with hybrids, then 2 1/2" is fine!

Let's face it, alot of people on here go 3" and then put in a restrictor ring! Kind of defeates the object of 3" pipe.

Anyway, I have had a powerflow exhaust on mine (2 1/2" but that's because I asked for that diameter, they had 3" available at Power & Performance in Norfolk) for about 3 years now and it's been great. The back box is of great quality. Have you seen the inside of a HKS Super Dragger after a couple of years? The internals are mild steel and start to come apart surprisingly early. Ask Angie, my other half.

As for the quality of the pipework, well I don't think you can blame Powerflow too much for that as it is made up by the place fitting it. Power & Performance did a great job on mine and have since put a Superdragger back together that we bought cheap from Ralphman as it was broken. It now sits nicely on Angies car. They made up the whole cat-back pipework for about £170 and it is beautifully done in stainless.

Yes, results vary massively depending on where you go to, but the back boxes out of the factory are absolutely fine. Just get it fitted somewhere with a good reputation!

Sry buddy, I dont have any good experiences to report for powerflow. mind you, i do admit that every branch is different. The ones in St Albans are a bunch of idiots.

crappy quality exhaust and poor workmanship.....personally i rather pay the extra and get a proper brand new exhaust like an Apexi, Blitz, HKS or Greddy.

we dont drive a nova u know.... ;)

Guest Garfy
I was going powerflow 2mrw. how much would i be looking at with 1 cat removed n exhaust system? i think 2.5 is small.

Hi mate, 2.5" is big enougth unless you are going for massive power, or single, the standard pipe is about 1 3/4" at its smallest and about 2 1/4 at its largest where the cat is, so removing the cat and losing the smaller pipework towards the back will make for a much freer flowing exhaust, also removing most of the bends will help.

Having spoken to my uncle in depth about the thickness of the pipework I feel comfident that 2.5" will be fine.

A 2.5" exhaust will flow enough gases for about 450bhp, it's only above those levels that it will really become a restriction and you will need a 3" exhaust all the way through.

You have to remember that your exhaust only flows as well as it's narrowest point, and few people actually run 3" all the way through as they have 2.5" cat replacement pipes. Hence the rest of the exhaust might as well be 2.5" as well.

As somebody mentioned earlier, a lot of the j-spec cars run restrictor rings that are sized between 2"-2.5", whatever size this is becomes the narrowest and most restricting part of the exhaust.