The mkiv Supra Owners Club

decibel meter

miko_supra

Does anyone know where i can go to get the loudness of my exhaust tested? Neighbour goes mental about the noise of my car when i set off once a fortnight for the weekend (to**er). And he's probably gnna try and get the police involved sooner or later and i want to make sure the noise levels are legal, and have a print out with written proof to rub in his face. Its a HKS Silent Hyper. What is the legal db limit any ways? is it 120?

there is no road legal limit at the moment as far as I remember.... there is for tracks.

I think its down to the police officer's opinion as to whether the sound level is satisfactory.

(But I may be wrong)

It sounds like you neighbour is a total w*nker.

It is officer discretion unless the exhaust is marked 'not for road use' or similar.

Be careful though as if the neighbour does report it then that is independent and you could end up with a s.59 Police Reform Act warning.

The warning applies to you and your car for 12 months so even if you change/borrow a car and get a complaint it still applies. Likewise if somebody borrows your car.

You only get one warning and if another complaint is received about your car or driving causing harassment, alarm or distress the Police can recover your car which will cost you. Think it's £120 for the call out round here then £12 per day.

Cheers

Adam

Cheers for the replies. So if they do complain im screwed? despite the fact i rarely take it out and its not during unsociable hours. The mans a moron btw. He threatened to kill my house mate for parking across his driveway for a couple of minutes.

there has to be resonable case for him to complain... due to your low usage of the car and in the hours you drive it he hasn't got any grounds for complaint IMO.

It sounds like he's being a prick just for the sake of it.

Court orders, and police action usually only refer to cases where there is an obvious continuous problem. I'd tell your neighbour to go and shove his garden rake where the sun doesn't shine and let him complain if he likes.