The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any suggestions for this dash button?

Elliot

As I installed a different dash (silver) to the one I had in there (walnut effect) the only difference was I had a few extra holes & there wasn't room for the folding wing mirror button anymore.

Anyone had a similar problem? What did you do? I don't want to go hacking into the dash, only to find it looks naff, or I've cut the hole too big etc

I think normally you'd only see the actual button, and not the 4 lip bits around it. Are they supposed to glue to the back of the dash?

Also, the button is probably too small to cover the big hole shown in the photo, so any ideas what would look good covering that hole?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers :)

Dash (Medium).JPG

folding mirrors button (Medium).JPG

Hack it up and fabricate an ally surround of some sort?

I think the actual button needs to be half in the dash & half out if you know what I mean. There's 2 hooks aither side of the black "box" unit so maybe it hooks on somewhere.

Maybe I could cut the dash as best I can, and put some sort of black / silver sticker or strip of something.

I'm not sure where I'd get a piece of ally that thin & even then I don't think I'd have the skill to cut it to the right size.

I don't suppose you can buy them...?

How often do you use the button? I was in the same position as you with my dash kit. Decided just to poke the button back through and leave it behind the dash. Its there again if I need it and get rid of the dash kit, but saves butchering the dash kit. Lets face it, you wont get it spot on and it will look a mess!

Andy

How often do you use the button? I was in the same position as you with my dash kit. Decided just to poke the button back through and leave it behind the dash. Its there again if I need it and get rid of the dash kit, but saves butchering the dash kit. Lets face it, you wont get it spot on and it will look a mess!

Andy

I use it every time I park the car, so that's not really an option :(

I've got a dremel here, so I could cut out the shape in the dash first (tight), then bevel the edges slightly, then try & paint them.

You're right though, it probably will look a mess :)

Drew, if you look on the back of the ignition panel, you will see an outline of where the hole usually is (the mould has a removable slide so the panel can be moulded with or without the hole). Should be relatively easy to folow the out line and drill/cut out the hole from the back just like the standard panel.

Alternatively I could supply you with a brand new panel which includes the hole.

Drew, if you look on the back of the ignition panel, you will see an outline of where the hole usually is (the mould has a removable slide so the panel can be moulded with or without the hole). Should be relatively easy to folow the out line and drill/cut out the hole from the back just like the standard panel.

Alternatively I could supply you with a brand new panel which includes the hole.

There is an outline, but an outline of the whole unit, not just the button

Anyways, I jumped in with the dremel last night drilling out a bit at a time, then sanding it smooth. I kept doing this & pushing the button in from the back to check the fitment.

A couple of times I thought I'd done it, but the button was too stiff, but eventually the button poked through & the switch from left to right, & right to left is perfect with no rubbing.

All I need to do now is move that round button down because it looks a rough cut & put something in the old hole (will have to buy a new gadget :) )

Quite a few times I got in a complete paddy with myself & thought I'd blown it, but stick with it & it looks surprisingly good :D

dash button fixed (Medium).JPG