The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Respray Advice

Nic

I'm planning on getting my car resprayed in the next few weeks, I'm going for a full engine out, windows out, exterior/interior colour change from silver to Dark Silver.

Having read of Monkeys horror story, I am planning on doing a written specification of all the work I want doing, to discuss with the paint shop before hand, so they are fully aware of what I expect. I'm a bit of a numpty though when it comes to spraying, fitting body kits, etc. so wondered if there are any experts who could help me with the specification? I was thinking this could be something that is included in FAQ section, to be used as guide/reference for others in the same position.

Not sure what shoud be included in the spec, but thinking; what parts to be stripped off car, prep work to be carried out, primer/top coat/lacquer to be used and number of coats of each, how skirts to be fitted, etc.

So any experts out there who could help put together a draft spec sheet?

OK I'm no expert but I have sprayed a lot of motorcycles and a few cars, including three of my own, it very much depends on the colour choice as to how its done as a lot of pearl colours need a colour specific base coat to achieve the correct final colour, a case in point being monkey76364 car!

also pearls need to be sprayed in a certain way and the whole car done in one go, so make sure the bumpers etc are not sprayed separate, same goes for some metallic finishes so make sure they know what there about;)

Apart from that the most important part of a good spray job is the preparation, try and get a look at the stages as there done, as this is what will determine you final result! if your going for a colour change make sure that any repairs that have been done have been properly primed, and at least been given a coat of the original colour, unless the whole car is being given a base coat before the intended colour is sprayed, like I said very important in the case of some pearls and metallic, as you could end up with wrong colour! if I remember any more I'll add to this, but I'm sure there are some professional sprayers on here.

I was talking to one of the Skyline lads here and he was advised not to bother taking out the engine to spray the engine bay. Apparently the oil impregnates the paint and it doesn't matter how clean the surface is, it will still come off over time. I don't think he was talking about a bare metal respray though.

Sure there are some professionals on here that can confirm or correct.

We do that when we send a car to a bodyshop Nic :)

It has signatures on the bottom from both us and bodyshop and a clause stating that any work not carried out to a high standard will be rectified at no further cost to ourselves.

Gaz.

Hi Gaz

I don't suppose you have an example you could copy and post so I can see the type of details agreed?

I'm thinking we could have 2 standard spec sheets for club members.

1. A quote sheet for a paint shop to complete when quoting a job, this would detail work to be carried out, materials to be used, prep work to be carried out, estimated time scale, man hours, etc. This would allow members to get say 2-3 quotes and be able to compare what they are getting for the fee being quoted (I know I would rather pay extra for a professional job, rather than go with the cheapest quote).

2. A job spec sheet detailing work to be carried out in detail, to be signed by both parties prior to job.

I'm going to try to put something together, if anyone else could do the same then I'm sure between us we could come up with something that will benefit club members.

Keep ideas and thoughts coming :thumbs:

• 5 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread guys, but how did you get on?

I'm interested in reading about resprays, as it is something I'm considering when i get a Supra. I'm not sure that i like the idea of just respraying the exterior bits, so an engine-out would be good to learn about (inc. costs)

Cheers :)