The mkiv Supra Owners Club

nearly bought a lemon - deposit query

razza

Hi all,

was just about to break into supra ownership and luckily got a vehicle check done, in the mechanics words "you'd be walking into a minefield"[sHOCK][/sHOCK]

luckily got this done otherwise would've cost me a fair wack in a short time, plus had been in a serious crash he thinks (both rear panels were mainly filler for starters)

where do I stand with deposit before I start getting on his case, want to check my standing? luckily only put £100 down.

cheers

D.

Was it an NA or a TT? If you are looking for an NA I have a lovely one for sale which I have just reduced.

Shame that people can get away with selling cars in such a poor state as you have experienced. Lesson to all...

Depends on the seller really. Ask them nicely and see what they say.

I've been in that situation years and years ago and been lucky enough to get my cash back. Then again I've also been in the same situation with another car, and I didn't dare ask for my deposit back as I'd messed them around and it didn't seem right.

I almost bought a UK spec Supe and put down £500 deposit. The guy said to me he wouldgive it back if there was anything wrong with the car as he didn't wanna sell me a dud which was cool.

I got the RAC report back and spoke to them and they said they wouldn't pay £4k let alone the £10k asking price. Every panel had been worked on or replaced, pipes were leaking and the wheels had corroded a so had the brakes etc - but it looked fine! (they all do to me)

I called and he said it was fine to get the money back but he then ignored all calls and texts from me so i went past his house and saw the car the drive and waited for him in his local with a mate. I was still calling him but got no answer so I gave up and knocked on his door and got my money back and saw my beauty a few days later and bought it from a genuine guy!

getting deposit back, he reckons he wants to keep it know anyway, "or if I did decide to sell again I wouldn't let them RAC test it" says it all really.:blink: although it's already back on the market (see links below)

This is the motor, I'm a newbie so can't post on the classifieds forum yet, can someone stick this on there as a warning to others. Got full report and it's a shocker, pretty much every panel has been repaired and has some serious issues throughout the car, saved myself some serious money there, well worth the report but he must have known what the results would be anyway which pi$$ed me off wasting my money. Next time I'll get them to pay for the report and if clear I'll pay it on top of the price of the car, if they don't agree then they've obviously got something to hide. live and learn....

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?nU=0&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&min_pr=10000&max_pr=11000&postcode=rg30%202hd&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1&photo=1

or:

http://www.mercurysportscars.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=20530&pageid=1

and the brakes are far from new......

p.s. am in the market for a black TT not bothered on transmission, don't want a highly modified one

JESUS is that guy being serious about the price, for a car of that spec in my opinion should be no more that 7.5k 8 at a push

if your will to spend that sort of cash pay your tenner to join and post up on the wanted section there are more mint cars and manual that is rare for that price

JESUS is that guy being serious about the price, for a car of that spec in my opinion should be no more that 7.5k 8 at a push

if your will to spend that sort of cash pay your tenner to join and post up on the wanted section there are more mint cars and manual that is rare for that price

CJ's is 11K and sooooo much better lol

Deposit, a contract between you and the seller to buy.

The law see's it that YOU made a cantract to buy, so he can sue you for the balance. Lucky it was subject to the inspection, which was your only get out clause.

Basically, dont give deposits, just buy it, as if someone wants to keep your deposit they can, unless you have very strong grounds that the deal is void due to their failing.

• 2 weeks later...