The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC stall prob

nickyboy

Just had the RLTC fitted (full thread to come). When stationery if I turn the digi adjuster up to 25% it stalls the engine... Haven't done calibration yet but have installed Terminator's auto winter tight datfile. Could it be a pre calibration problem or do I have another problem?!

Many thanks,

Nick

OK so I don't think the calibration has changed anything - as it is when I installed the file I jacked up each wheel and spun it to check which channel it was allocated to on the PC and made sure they were right before writing the file to the unit.

Just been out for a spin and, dry as it is, as far as I can tell it is working ok when driving.

The problem is that when I move the digi adjuster percentage up to 22%, the engine cuts out.......... Fine on 21%, just cuts when it hits 22%...

Emin fitted it. Phil is currently trying to help me.

Everything else seems to operate as I think it should...

When jacked up the rear wheels will not spin over a certain speed... the engine misfires.

When I do the test cut the engine misfires.

When we tested the individual wheels jacked up yesterday they all registered.

The RPM registers fine on the real time graph.

It just cuts at 22% on more than one dat file.............

Only one thing I'm not sure of is that when I do a "hard cut", the engine stalls...

I think I know what the problem may be.

I have had some "mad" problems with mine and part of it was found to be a software bug which is causing the launch control to arm (I seemed to be the first person to find it!).

It caused mine to wildly hunt up and down the rev range while stationary and when the digi adjuster was adjusted over 19%.

Fixes ... well, Mike Broadbent is bringing out new firmware to fix this, not sure when ... you may want to try and zeroing the launch settings / disabling it ?

I have had some "mad" problems with mine and part of it was found to be a software bug which is causing the launch control to arm (I seemed to be the first person to find it!).

It caused mine to wildly hunt up and down the rev range while stationary and when the digi adjuster was adjusted over 19%.

Thanks for the help, and also a massive thanks to Phil (Terminator) and Martin at mkivstore who have also been helping me.

Martin reassuringly has had this happen once before. The other symptom which I can't remember if I have already mentioned is that once stalled the engine won't restart without taking the key out.

If I have the digi adjuster does that mean I have launch control? Had ignored it as I have an auto (tip). And would that turn on itself or do I have to turn it off manually.

Also, not sure what you mean exactly by hunting up and down the rev range....?

Once again thank you for the assistance,

Nick

Yes, if you have the Digi adjuster it should have launch control even though you (and I) don't need/use it as we have auto's.

What I mean by "hunting" is, when stationary and the digi adjuster was adjusted from below 18% up to 19% or greater the engine revs started to go from idle (680) ramp up to about 1800 then back to idle etc, frequency of about a sec.

We should start a thread in Technical with RLTC known problems / sympoms etc and collate peoples experiences ?

Shaun.

A hard cut will stall the engine if you test it at idle because it's a hard cut - all the injectors stop firing :)

Also if your RLTC unit goes fruity and kills the engine you sometimes have to do a cold boot - switch off all electrics, kill your turbo timer, and wait 5 to 10 seconds for all the relays to switch and power off. Then restart the car.

-Ian

Thanks again...

yup - whenever it happens I have to switch off an restart, although I only have a manual turbo timer(!).

In sum it seems that everything else is functioning as expected ie engine cuts, wheel speed reading and rpm reading. I'm not getting any revs change when I change the digi adjuster - just a cut at 22%...

I'm going to try switching launch control on/off tonight and in addition I will hook the laptop up and run some realtime graphs when stationery and when moving to see if this sheds any light on the problem.

As above, Martin has had this happen once before and although he can't pinpoint what it was he's pretty sure it wasn't the hardware.

OK, so it does not matter what revs the engine is at, it cuts when I get to 22%. Interestingly, however, if I start the engine up with the digi adjuster at 22% there is no problem. And I can start it up at 25% and wind it down with no problem....

With DS8's advice I have had a play with the launch control this evening. First thing I noticed was that turning it on stalls the engine. This is because the revs limit on launch control is set to zero as, being auto, I will not be using it (admit I don't actually know what it is).

So I tried increasing the revs limit on it to 2000 and .... what do you know .... the engine no longer stalls when I hit 22%.

So it's partially solved, but I wonder what happens if I turn the % to 22 when I'm driving with the revs over 2000 etc etc

Any thoughts/experience appreciated as ever.

Just noting the outcome of the stall issue I had with RLTC for the benefit of anyone who encounters the problem in the future.

It turns out that the issue I had was the same as Shaun's (DS8). I have spoken to Mike Broadbent about the issue and confirmed this.

Essentially, as Shaun mentioned, there is a bug in the software on the Digi Adjuster.

When stationery, turning the %age up on the digi adjuster may cause launch control to activate when it hits the 19%+ range.

Being an auto, I had the rev limit on launch set to zero as I didn't anticipate using launch.

Therefore when activated (unintentionally), the car stalls.

Similarly, if you set the rev limit to 2000 on launch, you will be unable to rev over this limit.

The short-term solution is to set the rev limit to 10000 and then you will have no issue.

What if you have the limit set to 2000 and you accidently turn up the digi adjuster while driving; isn't that dangerous?

Because launch cannot activate when wheel speeds are registered, this situation will not arise. (I have to confirm this).

Long-term solution - as per Shaun (and Mike Broadbent), a software solution is being developed.

As an aside, the ABS wiring that I encountered on the VVTi was different to that which has been posted up previously (22 pin plug, not 26) which I will post up separately.

Funnily enough, Mike Broadbent told me something similar but I don't have launch control.

I'd hate to find that this is a work-around to 'cure' a faulty batch or something.

They all have launch control. You just pay for the button that activates it.

-Ian

Funnily enough, Mike Broadbent told me something similar but I don't have launch control.

I'd hate to find that this is a work-around to 'cure' a faulty batch or something.

Fair point.

All systems have a 2 year warranty so I'll give it a few months and then chase up.

Nice one Nick, a good write up of the description there mate :)

Funny how the software bug is only starting to rear it's head now, I would have thought there would have been more members here who have found this a while ago.... strange 'appenings !

Shaun.

Why was mine okay and only became 'bugged' after the battery disconnected? They hold their settings even if the battery is removed.

Also, why can't I just rewrite the DAT to the machine and overwrite this bug.

Seems like a dubious reason to me.