The mkiv Supra Owners Club

interesting (risky?) proposition...views...>

mista weava

ok - myself and the Chickster have found a car we like for her, (dark blue supra MY93 NA - 39k kilometres!)as a replacement for the beloved Mr2.

its at a dealers currently, un-reg'd and un-MOT'd.

so if we wait for the dealer to mot and register the car, we are in a position to part-ex the mr2 for GOOD money, give him a bit of cash and take the car away for a decent price, given a bit of horse trading.

BUT.

if i suggest that we take the car un-reg'd and un-MOT'd (remember that cars over ten years old that are imported do not need SVA) we give considerably less cash.

i can trailer it away and the delaer has no hassle whatsoever.

the deal is:

asking price 6995.

scenario a: assume the car is reg'd and mot'd.

we give him the mr2 which he says he will give 2k for.

he wants another 5k on top. i suggest haggling him down 2-3 hundred quid.

we still have to fit and alarm, get the timing belt done (i realise its not due, but its a 13 year old car.

we get a six month warrnaty with it, but no tax.

scenario b:

we rock up with the same plan as above however, the car IS un-MOT'd and un-reg'd.

i offer the mr2 and less cash. or maybe JUST cash? i can trailer the car away on my rally car trailer.

i then reg and mot the car.

what do you think?

bottom line is, we want the car - its a 3.0 supra with 39k kilometres on it and its MINT.

just got to find the best way of getting the BEST deal.

Mate ill take on the advice that has been given on this board, that is way over priced considering TT's come in at 7-8k for average mileage ones, look around for a 'Registered' one and you will definately find one alot cheaper with out compromising on the condition of the car.

cheers all.

its got an auction sheet with it, and its grade 4b.

he says "he" warrantys the mileage - quite how i dunno?!?!

spoke to him for the 2k for the mr2 and the 5k he will do everything - reg, mot, tax, belt and 6 mths warranty.

got no way to verify the mileage - but it is CLEAN.

useful info guys many thanks.

its at a place called "Richardsons autos" near Bournemouth - he also has a place near Winchester.

he is a classic Spiv used car sales man.

When i was search for my TT i found N/a's were going for the 4-5,000 range,

all grade 4's with low miles,

to register the car (as i am told)

you will need a Rear foglight with switch,

plus the normal safety requirements of an MOT,

also if you are going to register it your self,

make sure that the dealer gives you the original De reg cert from Japan along with other important paperwork,

i would Recommend giving Marc a buzz from Topspec Imports,

as he is importing my Supra TT,

and i have asked him a load of questions regarding registering Japanese cars in the UK.

here is his email

[email protected]

Cheers

Steve

MW. When you sell a car in japan I think you are legally obliged to declare the mileage. If I remember correctly it is written on the official govt doc (in Japanese, not the "transcribed" English version they will show you).

At 39k it would probably have to be a one owner car, in other words, it should be possible to see the last owner's detail.

However, if it was bought by an export trader in Japan, they may not need to register as another owner. And the trader who you are getting it from is probably "warranting" the mileage on the basis of the information from the trader owner in Japan, not the true owner.

I can stand corrected on all the above, but I think the only way you can be really sure is to contact the previous Japanese owner (the genuine one).....difficult at best.

I think if you can get the original auction sheet and see the mileage on there then thats pretty much the best you can do really, at least you know its not been clocked by the importer. Id definately let him do the MOT tho if your going to go for it, unless you can get it up and check it out anything could be wrong or enough to fail MOT!

***EDITED AS I HAD DINNER AND DID NOT INCLUDE DETAIL IN THE POST***

ok guys. thats very interesting.

i have seen the auction sheet and milage is verified on there.

Chris - i hear what you say and thats beneficial to my decision.

i have seen various prices rangine from 4-6k in autotrader, both private and trade.

they tend to fall into the 5-6k price bracket from what i have seen. i am very interested in your comments Chris, as i hope you are able to point me to someone who can supply a car to me and Anna for 4k with the mot, tax and warranty for that price. i want to get the best deal after all.

the guy with the 39k kilometre blue supra has offered the following - which i am not going to accept i might add.

the Mr2 - which we have both agreed is £1500 quids worth P/X, as i could probably make £1800 in a private sale.

he wants £5k on top - BUT he is prepared to fit a thatcham 1 cat alarm and immobiliser, warrantty it, fit a stereo, convert it to miles with the limiter removed, and tax it for 6months.

what deal would you guys strike with him for the mr2 and cash, plus doing all of the above?