The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wasted weekend (car-wise)

Digsy

Well I just spent a completely wasted weekend trying to swap the hubs over on my car :(

It took me (with my girlfriend helping) from Saturday morning just after until lunchtime on Sunday to get 80% of the way through getting ONE hub off. In the process I bought a set of crowsfoot sockets, two ball joint splitters and ang angle grinder to modify them to they fitted. We managed to get two of the three ball joints out of their cones but the large on on the bottom link refused to budge. No amount of twatting it with big hammers would work, either. Likewise I couldn't get the lower link cam adjuster bolts to shift either, so even if I had have been able to get the ball joint out, I still would not have been able to remove the hub. So we spent Sunday afternoon putting it all back together. All I managed to do was change the disc and pads.

In the evening I did a web search for a ball joint splitter that might be up to the job, and I found an HGV-sized one that looke dthe business. Trouble is it's over £100!

Guess I'll have to start looking into getting a garage to do this one :(

Oh - and to top it all off, my girlfriend's car developed a front-brake squeal while she was round mine so we took the caplier off to check for disk warpage etc, etc. While putting it back on she managed to strip one of the mounting bolt thread (M12). Amazingly, they have less then 1 x the bolt diameter of thread engagement into the upright. What a shitty design. :(

So her car is also up on stands infront of my house now!

Just to make you feel better - I changed the brake pads on Vickis MG-ZR. Took about 10 mins, amazingly easy. :D

The cleaning of the calipers (wire brush brought them up as new) and inside of the wheels and suspension etc took considerably longer.

Think - small jobs equals :D.

Big jobs equals :mad: