The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Loud creeking/squeek since lowering !!

Rolec

Have just noticed a new sound since have new shocks and springs fitted.

When the car is on lock (nearly full) - at slow speed, i.e. reversing - you get a strange creek/squeek from the passenger side front - we've had the wheel off - there is no play anywhere - it only happens at very slow speed.

Is it to do with the Bushes ?? - is it a sign of something wearing - Leon had a good look round when he did the job and certainly didn't spot anything, and i'm sure its been ok for the last 2 weeks, only starting yesterday....

Is there any chance it could be rubbing against the inner arch material at full lock, after springs have "settled" they sometimes end up ma little lower then when first fitted. Look for any wear marks.

If not it could be a noisey power steering system, but that would usually happen forward or reverse and even at full lock standing still.

Definately no rubbing - have now spoken to Leon and am running down Saturday morning..

It does not make a noise when actually turning the steering wheel - only when moving the car v.slowly on lock, i.e. turned the wheel first while stationary

Please keep me posted, as I have the same noise at very slow speeds and at almost full lock.  Not very loud Usually on the way out of the garage or a parkng space or turning out of my drive into the narrow lane out side. Can't see anything and every thing is solid at high speeds. Would love to know what it is and if it is going to be expensive to fix.

Whooaa!,  I have the same noise at very slow speeds and at almost full lock. Not very loud Usually on the way out of the garage or a parkng space or turning out of my drive

Can't see anything !!love to know what it is and if it is going to be expensive to fix.

Sounds pretty common !!!!

Lance

Took the car to Leon on Saturday - what a lovely opportunity to bang it down the M1 at 130+ from Milton Keynes to Bushey. Dont you love upsetting people in little cars - TT Coupe, Alfa 156, Alfa Spider, Honda Integra - nothing to meaty but good fun :biggrin:

Didn't cure the creek though - took the wheel off - couldnt find anything untoward - believe it probably to new Eibach Springs and Bilstein shocks - the shocks are not the Toyota Bilstein, but are Bilsteins own ?? with an adjuster that turns depending on speed...

Dean..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dean,

I am just guessing as I don't know if the Supra steering system has these, but on my previous car (a Volvo C70) I had this exact same problem. It turned out to be the bump stops that prevented the wheel from turning further once you are at full lock. They just needed some extra grease and the squeek was over. Hope this helps.

Flavio

• 11 years later...
you forgot to tighten the wheel nuts on one of your wheels :blink:

Both front wheels actually, well saying that it wasnt me it was when I got my car sprayed I had to take the back wheels off, so my dad loosened all the wheels (which I didnt know). After putting all back together again and driving around I noticed this strange knocking sound and my dad said ahh thats probably the front wheels I loosened lol. Thanks for telling me.... :)

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)