The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you drive a TT Auto ?

milocoon

Whilst driving in France I came across a few steep downhill roads and wondered if I was treating the auto box correctly by downshifting from "D" to "2" as the brakes seemed to be fading a bit. In the UK this isn`t as extreme so I wondered how other people drive their TT Auto`s ?

It`s a lovely gearbox when you`re queing but its a strange concept when you break due to no engine breaking ?

Thanks Milocoon

:p :blink:

Me too...... example: approaching roundabout at speed, click overdrive off, brake hard and click into 2nd and turn, get back on the gas to hold the speed round the roundabout (RLTC holding the rear-end in nicely) .... and then floor it on exit......click back into drive and put overdrive on again whilst hammering away from the roundabout.

:)

Me too...... example: approaching roundabout at speed, click overdrive off, brake hard and click into 2nd and turn, get back on the gas to hold the speed round the roundabout (RLTC holding the rear-end in nicely) .... and then floor it on exit......click back into drive and put overdrive on again whilst hammering away from the roundabout.

thats spot on !!!!! nice one flynn

yeah like that

And one thing that will stop the feeling of "driving on" that you get from auto boxes (because of the lack of engine braking) as you are just about to stop (and this will save on brake pads too).

Whenever you know you are going to have to stop, say at a red light, in traffic etc., after you have lifted off the gas and the revs are dropping, slip the car from drive into neutral as you slow down.

I do this from about 25 mph downward. It stops the engine fighting the brakes and is much more comfortable for you, your car and your passenger....:)

Its strange, I'm sure other autos I've driven have automatic engine braking that change down when braking hard from high speed or going down hill with no throttle. My FTO in auto mode would definetly down shift on its own when driving down hill.

My '05 Land Cruiser does this also, but the Supra never does.

And one thing that will stop the feeling of "driving on" that you get from auto boxes (because of the lack of engine braking) as you are just about to stop (and this will save on brake pads too).

Whenever you know you are going to have to stop, say at a red light, in traffic etc., after you have lifted off the gas and the revs are dropping, slip the car from drive into neutral as you slow down.

I do this from about 25 mph downward. It stops the engine fighting the brakes and is much more comfortable for you, your car and your passenger....:)

Blimey mate, I always thought sticking the auto-box into neutral whilst in motion was always a no-no?? :help:

Blimey mate, I always thought sticking the auto-box into neutral whilst in motion was always a no-no?? :help:

Not sure on this one. As long as the engine is running the oil pump in the box keeps the fluid circulating.... Engine off is when the damage happens.

Anyone know for sure?

Not sure on this one. As long as the engine is running the oil pump in the box keeps the fluid circulating.... Engine off is when the damage happens.

Anyone know for sure?

The revs are usually below 1000 when I do this so I am nearly at tickover anyway...

My Supe does engine brake - but I've only ever felt it a few times. Usually when going down very steep hills.

Normal driving for my car is with O/D "On"...there is negligable engine braking.

With O/D off, then you get the engine braking in third gear when you lift off (this is a good way of slowing down if you see the law coming up behind and you want to kill some speed without showing your brake lights, just knock off the O/D and the car will slow itself)...

Sound like more work than a manual :innocent: